Chapter 22

I looked around, searching for Levy in the horde of people. It was hard because most of the people here are tall and has a bulky build but with great determination to find that buffoon I call a friend, I elbowed my way through them, receiving annoyed growls, glares as sharp as daggers and some shoves back.

Finally, after bloody years trying to find the idiot, I found him leaning against a wall, flirting with a red head. I was pretty sure my face was as red as the girl's hair by now.

Fuckin bitch. The fuck he thinks he is, making me search for him while flirting with some prostitute. I stomped up towards him and grabbed him by the ear.

The girl, upon seeing the murderous look on my face, scurried off.

Oh be afraid bitch, be very afraid. I thought darkly before snapping my gaze back to Levy who looks like he might piss his pants.

"Where the hell have you been?" I thundered and he shrank back just to wince, remembering the hold I have on his ear.

"Erm.. Hi?" It only fueled my anger more.

"Oh you little-" I muttered, already planning his murder case. I'll plan it perfectly, so good that even Sherlock will think it's a suicide.

I was brought out of my thoughts by a loud bell that caused my ears to ring. My grip on Levy's ear loosened and I let my hand fall limp beside me as I neared Levy to shout in his ear so that he can hear me through the ringing.

"What's going on?" I yelled and he shook his head, motioning me to be quiet and watch.

I sighed in frustration but complied.

I watched as two people entered the ring from two different directions and I instantly questioned my sanity in deciding to come here.

I came in hopes of preparing myself on what I was getting myself into before actually deciding to fight. Levy did mention it was dangerous but I wanted to be the judge of exactly how dangerous it is.

I think I'm about to get some answers.

The two got in space as the speakers blared with some guy's voice introducing the two.

It won't matter, either of them could drop dead any minute after he stops talking. It doesn't matter who they are, what matters is that one of them is going to be ending this day badly.

I watched as they huddled up in the middle, getting ready to beat each other to pulp.

One was a brunette while the other was a dirty blonde and as per usual, like every other guys that street fight, they were wearing short pants that were an inch above their knees with their chests bare.

Levy's focus was also zeroed on the two as the speakers blared, signalling the start of the fight.

My eyes were trained at their moves and I have to admit that they were both extremely good fighters.

Well of course they are, you bloody fool. What do you expect? A newbie throwing their life away at a competition that might land them on their death bed? was the valid and inarguable point my subconscious flung at me.

I could feel my eyes widened at how cruel they were doing it here. The brunette was already on his ass, trying to protect his face in vain from the punches his opponent was throwing at him.

It was far more bloody than the Underground Place. At least there, we had a few rules even if they were barely paid attention to, the few that knew of them respected those rules.

I could feel my heart beat faster and faster as I watched how the guy literally beat him to pulp. Blood splattered everywhere as he landed a blow that had the brunette sputtering and coughing up red liquid.

Both of my feet were rooted in its place as I tried tearing my eyes off the gore.

"I told you it was dangerous, Pix. Think about it and don't make rash decisions." Levy said aloud, trying to beat the uproar of the crowds.

I mulled on the thought once again. Am I being reckless by deciding to do this?

A flash of Carla lying on her bed, pale as her sheets entered my mind and I remembered how Pio had told me the things Carla taught him about people passing.

The kid was smart and it was all thanks to the woman who raised him to be who he is right now. If he turns out to be a successful, young lad, which I'm sure he will; it will be Carla's success not his. It would be her success in raising the kid right and sculpted him to be who he will be.

I won't let Pio endure the pain of loosing a loved one. I won't let him feel what I felt when Bryant died. I won't let him mourn, I won't let him be swallowed by grief.

I certainly won't let him stare on that same spot on that ceiling for hours, each fucking day, spending his life away wondering on the what ifs.

I won't let it happen. I won't let Carla go that easily.

I'll fight.

My gaze was still on the brawl as the brunette flipped them and started fighting back. It was like they were expressing my thoughts. I flipped my conscience off me and fought back.

Screw motherfucking fear. I'm fighting.

"I'm not making irrational decisions, Lev. I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do this with my own reasons." To win that prize and help Carla get back on her feet. So that she'll continue chastising her children when they make humane mistakes.

So that she'll be able to hold Preston by his ear if he talks trash about the female race.

So that she'll be there when Pio finds a girl and guide him through the puzzling maze that is love.

I could see Levy turning towards me, his face contorting into one of wonder. I chose to ignore the look he gave me. I will not show weakness. He knows Pixie, not Casey.

We stuck around for another hour, watching the brawls as people got carried out bloody and battered, barely able to form a coherent sentence.

That can be the person I beat up one of these days, I mused.

Or you, my dark thoughts interrupted and I immediately shut the voice out. Pessimist thoughts aren't gonna help my case right out.

When we finally decided to exit the place, I was wearing my stone cold mask, not letting anybody see what's underneath the rock exterior.

The cold air pricked my skin as I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

My mind's made up and no one's going to be able to change it.

"I signed you up earlier and the schedule's all set. They'll notify us when we'll be fighting by Tuesday." Two days from now. I heaved out a sigh and nodded stiffly. I cracked my knuckles out of anxiety.

"You're fighting?" I asked him out of the blue and he grinned, "How can I not." I cracked a small smile at that, shaking my head.

"I'll see you then, Lev," I gave a small wave over my shoulder, already heading to my bike that was sheltered by anyone's view under the old oak tree right around the corner.

I blew the loose strands out of my face before putting the helmet on. I was about to slide the key into the ignition, a leg already swinging across my bike and my butt already getting all comfy when a gruff voice called out to me.

And I mean me as in me.

My head whipped to the source and my breath hitched and the words I was about to say died in my throat as I stared at the familiar blue eyes of the guy I used to call best friend.

"Dom."

•~•~•

I feel evil. Oh well.

Sorry for making you guys wait for so long, I nearly forgot and the incoming comments you guys left me to update eventually smacked some sense into me that I haven't quite updated yet.

Sorry for that, hehehe

I hope the chapter makes up for it.

Love y'all and stay awesome. Ciao -J