Chapter 48

Happy birthday to @darieyana ❤️ God bless bro 💕😊 I hope you have a wonderful birthday 🎉 Here's my birthday gift 😂

~•~•~

It didn't take long for me to rush to the body's side and roll him over to see if it's who I think it is.

God no, please let this be real.

A sob forced its way out of me when I saw his face before rushing to check his pulse.

It was faint but I could feel the beat that was weakening by the second.

No, I won't let him die on me. I promised Carla I'll take care of her family. I won't let this happen. Not after what just happened with Carla.

Preston, you bitch. Don't you die on me now, you insensitive jerk.

A tear leaked out from the corner of my eye and it didn't even take me a second to dial the hospital. I couldn't even think about manners right now. Not when the brother of the dude I love is possibly severely injured.

"Please send an ambulance to St. Andrews Graveyard as soon as possible. I don't see any external bleeding but his heartbeat is weak and he's unconscious. Please be quick."

I shut the phone, looking around for a certain brunette. I tried straining my hearing to try catching any suspicious noises. All the other people who attended the funeral dispersed half an hour ago when the burial was over so there weren't any people in sight.

Where could Adam be?

"Behind the trees," a voice said behind me and my head whipped to the side, trying to catch sight of who was speaking while still keeping Preston's head on my lap.

"Pardon?"

"Your boyfriend, the one with similar hair with this man, I saw him with a man behind those trees," the elderly said. I smiled in gratification towards him before laying Preston's head on the ground.

"Here, let me. I'll take care of him, go find your boyfriend." I couldn't say I wasn't suspicious of him but it wasn't like I had much choice so I reluctantly stood from the spot I was kneeling on and let the old man tend to Preston.

"I called the ambulance. They're going to be here soon," I told him, already on my feet.

While running to the trees, I stopped for a quick second and took a quick glance at Preston and the old man who was searching for injuries. "And sir?"

He craned his neck to look at me while propping half of Preston's body to lean on his own. I gave him a small smile. He might be an acquaintance of the man fighting Adam or he can also be the man who was fighting Adam a minute before but if he wasn't, that means he was genuine.

So I'll focus on the possibility that he was sincere rather than worrying that he was possibly an enemy and add it to the list that I should worry about. Besides, judging from the rake he brought with him and the sack of leaves beside him, he was probably the keeper of the cemetery.

"Thank you," I said softly, earning a simple nod and small smile.

"Go, child. Help that boy," I turned, heeding his words and ran towards the trees.

The closer I get, the louder the voices sounded and I was more than certain that one of them was Adam's.

"You don't know?" An unfamiliar voice asked and not a second later, Adam's confused voice was heard. It didn't take me long to catch up with where their conversation could possibly head.

No, Adam shouldn't find out like this.

With that thought, I pumped my feet faster, dashing through the trees and jumping on a log.