Chapter 17

On Thursday, our school was holding a basketball match with a neighboring school and by noon, the gym was packed with students.

The teachers were filing in along with janitors helping us carry chairs for the visitors which were mostly the students from the other school and a few parents, supporting the players.

I took a seat among the other students from our school. I craned my neck to catch a glimpse of the players pouring in.

The throng of people in front of me were blocking my view and I've been spending the past couple of minutes trying to search for that small hole between them that will allow me to see what's going on.

Adam's not coming in today, he texted me this morning telling me that his mom is not feeling well and that he's going to have to take care of her.

I offered to help him out but he turned me down and told me he's gonna be fine so I dropped it and let him be.

After that trip to the meadow and the storytelling session, we waited for the sun to rise for a bit before deciding to head back, passing McD's drive thru and buying some food.

All of them were half awake by then and didn't even bother asking us where we went or why we were out so early when their eyes landed on the paper brown bag Adam was carrying.

After eating breakfast, we went our separate ways to get ready for school. Yes, school. I need those scholarships that the universities offer because although my parents can fund them, I don't want to be a burden to them and trying to lessen the funds for my University sounds like a pretty idea.

The week went on quickly and there was going to be another party this friday to honor the school's 27th Anniversary arranged by the student council. It was supposed to be a rave party with alcoholic free drinks and teacher supervised dancing and everyone is 'obliged' to come.

I hate parties.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as the game begun, loud thuds of the ball being dribbled across the court was heard and the squeaking of brand new basketball shoes against the smooth surface of the floor filled the room.

No longer than a minute after the game started, the people sitting opposite to us rose from their seat and onto their feet, cheering, clapping and yelling out encouragements.

I guess they scored then..

No shit.

After another couple of minutes of struggling to search for a hole to see through, I slumped in my seat and gave up. "Hey, you wanna switch seats?" An unfamiliar feminine voice asked loudly over the screaming.

My head turned so hard, I felt a strain in my muscle. I looked at the girl beside me in surprise. "Really?" I asked her warily with wide eyes.

Hey, don't judge. I love watching basketball games, they're enthralling at times and also amusing.

"Yeah, I'm not interested in these stuff anyways," she shrugged and rose to her feet, ready to switch seats with me. I looked at her gratefully and shuffled to squeeze in and slid into her seat while she plopped on mine.

After getting comfortable, she stretched out a hand. "I'm Penelope." I smiled at her but inside, my conscious was feeding doubts into my poor mind.

Why on Earth would anyone want to be your friend?

Isn't it too late for them to have a change of hearts?

It's a bloody trick, you bloody fool.