7

Oct 4, 2021,  10:44 am

Trial Day_

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

* * *

The jury and the judge alike stared keenly at the prosecutor who had requested to question the defendants who were pleading guilty.

"Your Honor, I don't see a need for that since my client is already willing to admit to his charges." The defense attorney proclaimed, rising from his chair. Beside him sat the two defendants, Oh Geum Cheol and Yo Dong Sik. Dong Sik avoided the eyes of the prosecutor who prowled the courtroom as his companion observed the scene with shrewd eyes.

"It is for a clarification of a minor detail of the case, Your Honor. Since we came across evidence that might be relevant to the verdict." Prosecutor Jeon pacified offering a calculated look towards the defense attorney who looked restless. Upon receiving the green light from the judge, the prosecutor looked towards the defendants. Oh Geum Cheol leaned forward to his microphone, subtly gracing his arm against the defense attorney, signaling his intent to take the lead.

Jungkook appreciated the confidence. It meant less dilly-dallying and he could cut straight to the chase. Prosecutor Ahn sent a subtle nod as 'good luck' as he smiled down at Geum Cheol.

"Mr. Oh Geum Cheol, do you admit that you were involved in the kidnapping and brutal murdering of the victims, Chae Hyungsik and Chae Manwol?"

There was a brief pause of silence before Geum Cheol met the eyes of the prosecutor with ease and grunted into the mike. "Yes."

"You also admit that you and defendant Yo Dong Sik were sole perpetrators of the crime and there was no motive involved other than the fact that the victims, I quote, 'pissed you off?'"

"Hmm." Geum Cheol nodded his leveled gaze, never leaving the predatory glance of the prosecutor before him.

"In that case, Mr. Oh may I inquire where you were around seven forty-five in the evening on the day of the murder, that is, August 20, 2021?" Jungkook cut to the chase, the firmness of his voice slicing through the silence of the court like a butcher's knife. Dong Sik let out an inaudible whimper as his companion seemed to clench his teeth.

"Why prosecutor? We were at the crime site, o' course." The response was simple, without giving too much detail as it lingered in the silent courtroom with evident mockery. Ahn Heiran noisily turned a page of her files.

"Define crime site, Mr. Oh."

"The old abandoned junkyard near the river itself? Listen, prosecutor, our attorney just told you all that a few minutes ago. Weren't you payin' attention or something?"

Jeon Jungkook raised his eyebrows, feigning offense at the distinct attempt to ridicule him but the merest trace of a smile played at his lips.

"Then how do you explain your presence at the Go-mart convenience store, three hours away from the crime site, on the very same day at Seven forty-five pm?"

A wave of murmur swept across the occupants of the jury as the projector came to life and the CCTV footage from the store began to play. The judge looked at the footage, carefully fixing his glasses as the defendant ground his teeth, staring at Jungkook in distinct contempt. As the footage played and came to an end, all eyes turned to Geum Cheol who remained silent. The prosecutor tilted his head. "Mr. Oh, if you would answer the questio—"

"It ain't me." Geum Cheol cut the prosecutor off.

Murmurs rose in volume from the court as its occupants expressed their derision at the evident lie that rolled out of his tongue. Prosecutor Jeon Jungkook silenced the court with a soft clearing of his throat, "Mr. Oh, I would like to ask you one last question. Were you and Yo Dong Sik, the only ones involved in the crime?"