35

As soon as he received news that the police had procured the arrest warrant, the game was on for the Silent Wolf. The last known location of Jung Hoseok's cell phone was at a residential area in Sang-dong, Mokpo-si. Gathering a significant amount of backup to assist, Jungkook raged through the streets to the house where he was last spotted. Of course, he wasn't foolish enough to think that Hoseok would still be there. But at the moment, after receiving negative responses from the detectives who had gone knocking on all the possible doors where Jung Hoseok could be in, this was the only place he felt that held answers.

Jungkook wasn't surprised to find the door of the normal, peach-pink house locked with no response from the inside. Thankfully, the warrant gave the police enough power to kick down the doors and he was barging inside before the dust had a chance to settle. Nothing could calm him down except the answers that awaited in the gloom of this peachy house.

"Bring me anything that remotely looks suspicious. There has to be a clue here."

The portraits on the display shelves were the first thing he noticed upon entering the house of a woman he had seen once before vaguely at the parking lot of the Prosecutor's office. This was the woman Jung Hoseok had called his girlfriend. Lim Sarangh, he faintly recalled. Jungkook guessed that this might be her home since they had confirmed that it certainly wasn't Hoseok's. Was she in on it too with her boyfriend?

His eyes caught sight of the unopened mail lying on the coffee table in the living room and he squinted them at the name that was printed on the address.

Lim Yoona
Sang-dong, Mokpo-si,
South Jeolla - 58642

Lim Yoona? Jungkook wondered if there was another resident living in the house. Or was it perhaps the woman herself, only with a different name?

"Prosecutor Jeon, we found something!"

Jungkook walked to the kitchen from where Officer Kang had called, standing beside a broken debris of what used to be a flower vase. Not too far was the shattered remains of a cell phone. Hoseok's cell phone. He noted the flower vase's position. The vase was at the center of the room indicating that it hadn't been accidentally knocked off its place. Someone had intentionally dropped it on the floor. He found it quite odd. Why? What does it mean?

He squeezed his eyes shut and forced himself to concentrate. Think Jungkook, think. Everytime, however, as he forced himself to focus, horrid images of what terrifying things Heiran might be suffering flashed through his brain. He hoped she was holding on, not giving into the terrors Hoseok might be inflicting on her. To wait until he found her, alive and sound. He shuddered to think of the alternative...

No. He couldn't let that happen. Not under his watch. Not after everything.

"Sir, there's something in the bedroom that you might want to have a look at." A junior police officer's voice cut through his voice and he sprung up, eager to find another clue or anything to keep him from reviving the torturous images in his mind.

He breezed into the bedroom on the officer's lead to where a stack of paper cuttings sat on the study in Sarangh's bedroom. On first glance, he could tell why the officer thought it was disturbing. They were newspaper cuttings from every single issue one could find. All of them about the serial murders he was currently working on. The Yeongsan Murders.

His heart raced as his subtly trembling fingers wound through the clippings. Pictures of Mr. and Mrs. Chase, the high school students Yihyun and Saebom, the mother and 5-year-old... Jungkook felt sick. Curiously enough, the news clippings also had fresh printout reports of the corpse they found in Heiran's house, aired last night, among them.