31

Eighteen-year-old Jungkook, better known as JK to all of  Busan FSoPA High, had never been faced with such a dilemma before. As he stood darting his eyes all around the room adorned in pink heart balloons and glimmering ceiling decorations, making sure everything was absolutely just the way he wanted, his fingers trembled with nerves. A drop of sweat dripped down the side of his cheek despite the coolness of the evening. Each moment that passed made his heart swell more and more until it felt like it would burst.

Jungkook breathed out a long deep breath. He had to focus. He couldn't let his nerves get the better of him and mess this up as Taehyung had predicted. It had to be perfect. Especially when the one he was waiting for didn't have a high opinion of him.

It was all his fault really but he couldn't really help it. Because every time he saw her, he felt this intense desire to make her mad. It was addicting to see her cheeks puff up in fury and turn the shade of strawberry red, or the way she'd then sweep back her hair and spew out the wittiest insults she could come up with, or give him a chilling look that could rival a devil's glare. He craved the electrifying feeling it gave him. He yearned for the way it made his heart thump.

There was no way he could hope for a normal conversation with her when his attempts either ended in a fistfight or he ran away because he couldn't handle her presence. Frustrated with himself and with much prompting from Taehyung, he finally decided to tell her everything he wanted to say. By being anonymous.

Every day was an exciting beginning waiting for her behind the pillar near her locker to watch her read his notes and he had to thank Taehyung for that brilliant idea. But Taehyung's ideas weren't always genius. The 'sing a love song to your crush' plan he acted as per his instructions at the school festival was a miserable flop. She had thought it was cringe and Taehyung had survived a good pounding.

Jungkook had to admit that it had momentarily made his heart stop when he read her first note back. That was quite a bold move for her to pull when she didn't even know who he was. Nevertheless, her boldness was one of the reasons that had made him fall. All-day that day, he had been in a dazed stupor that made Seokjin quite concerned for his mental health. Only Taehyung knew the real reason behind his shock.

This is your chance, he had said. How long will you keep hiding behind pillars? You need to talk to her. Do it before it's too late. Go get it, mate.

So there he was waiting in an art room, hoping that she had figured out his cryptic message on where to meet him as he nervously fidgeted with a bouquet of red Tulips.

Lowering his voice, he faced the statue of David in the room and sang, "To you, I profess— no, no, no..." Jungkook shook his head, grimacing at his attempt. "Too cringe. Let's try another." He assured the statue as he began, taking on a firm expression, "Hey, I like you. Date me."

He winced, "She'd slap me to hell if I said that. Let's try this again JK." The statue seemed to agree with him.

"Are you a parking ticket? Cuz you've got fine written all over you, bab—" He felt the Statue of David recoil in disgust and Jungkook sighed in defeat. "That's even cringier."

He ran his hand through his hair, disgruntled. "What am I even going to say to her—"

"JK?"

Jungkook jumped at the voice and turned around, his eyes wide, heart beginning to pound.

Ahn Heiran stood at the center of the art room, shock, and disbelief were written all over her delicate features. She tilted her head as if she couldn't believe her eyes, "It was you?"