36

When her initial shock subsided, Heiran clenched her fingers into a fist and thwacked against his chest who dared assault her after everything he had made her go through.

"Mmph–mmh– leph–go! You–ugly–little–cowa—OW! Owwowow!"

Before Jungkook had a chance to cry out in pain from her violence, Heiran herself was squeaking out loudly as the burned tender skin on her fists throbbed from the mistreatment. Breathing out sharp hisses as she held her hand back to pacify the burns, she directed her cold deadly stare at the man before her who gazed at her injuries with a look so soft she felt herself get lost in them. He gently wrapped his hands around her arms, carefully rolled up the sleeve of her dirtied hoodie, and observed the burns with such compassion and hurt it was crumpling any resolve of hers to stay mad at him.

"Oh no, what did they do to you?"

She clenched her teeth as her eyes began to sting. She couldn't tell if it was the pulsing blisters on her hands or the well-timed arrival of the one who she hated the most that made her eyes water. But she held them back, biting down on her quivering lips as she secretly allowed herself to feel relieved at his sight. "One would think I was dead from the way you were making a ruckus out there. Geez, you're so tactless outside of court... What an idiot."

"What am I going to do with you..." Jungkook whispered as if he hadn't heard her insults, eyes still roving over her arms. Heiran mustered a scowl and shoved him back, careful not to upset her burns. "Back off, mister! And tell me why the hell you're alone, hollering out there and ruining my plans. Where's the backup?"

"Ran, let me just take a moment and apologize—"

Heiran interrupted him, feeling something off, "Where's the backup, Jungkook? Did you bring them?"

Jungkook held out his hands, his tone was cautious. "Ran, now let me explain."

"Don't tell me you didn't bring them!" Heiran burst out dumbfounded at the stupidity. "Jungkook, you had one job!"

"I know, I know, but you have to listen to me, there's a—"

He was soon interrupted again when a loud bang that sounded like a gunshot shuddered the mansion.

Bang!

Heiran whipped her head towards the sound, and so did Jungkook. Slowly, she breathed out his thoughts.

"She knows you're here..."

* * *

Jungkook felt the shivers run down his spine as he found the kidnapper who had taken Heiran lying where he had left him unconscious in a fresh pool of blood and a gaping hole in his forehead. He swallowed as he circled around the body, vigilant eyes drifting around for a sign of movement. Heiran followed closely behind, prowling through the mansion to the place where she knew Hoseok was kept hostage. Though she was considerably disturbed, she couldn't quite bring herself to feel sorry for the dead man at her feet.

Even as the sunshine began to slowly filter in through the grimy glass windows, the place held an air of hauntedness that unsettled her. Swiping up a bronze vase from a nearby display case for a weapon, Heiran crept down the hallway. Despite the morning, the darkness seemed to achieve a strange vicious quality as her bare feet padded against the thick reeking carpet down the hallway. Jungkook carefully surveyed his surroundings and inched parallel to the wall as quiet as a mouse. Soon, he came close to a stop, approaching the door where Heiran knew Hoseok was in. She sent him two taps over the shoulder and Jungkook got the message. Nodding his head, he slowly slipped something pink into her hands as his other hand pushed open the door, eyes trained at what lay beyond inside. His breath hitched as he found the sight awaiting him on the other side. Hoseok was tied up in a chair and bloodied. Drifting in and out of consciousness.