INTERLUDE

18 years ago, Maple Leaf Institution for Mental Health and Sciences_

Dr. Yoon smiled in content as he watched the six-year-old sitting beside him, feet dangling back and forth, eyes keen and observant of the surroundings. It was afternoon and the warm sunlight shone down on the recreational park of the institution. A few of the long-term residents there passed by with a brief greeting which the doctor returned. The atmosphere was vibrant with pleasant energy, laughter filling the air as the clouds passed by the sunny skies overhead. Dr. Yoon looked at the six-year-old beside him again.

"I can see you watching me, doctor." The child spoke up.

"Is that so? Forgive me, I should have been more discreet." He replied, grinning wide.

"Was that a joke?"

"Consider it whatever you want." The doctor said, following the child's gaze to the other end of the park where a few children ran around in circles, clearly playing around in circles. Patient 020413 had shown a great deal of improvement since last year and he could only thank the gods for such a miracle. The patient was now more receptive to suggestions and normal interactions. And less prone to dangerous relapses. However, the patient was much too awkward and introverted. Doctor Yoon didn't consider that a problem. All in good time, the child would grow to learn how to live in a society. All that was needed was a gentle push.

"You can go join them if you want." He offered, gesturing to the little kids playing at the park.

"Nope. I hate kids."

"You are a kid yourself." The doctor chuckled but the person he hoped to evoke a reaction from, remained wordless at his point. He sighed.

"You should try to go talk to them. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you joining them. They'd love you."

"Love?" The child questioned, dangling feet coming to an abrupt halt. "What is love, doctor?"

"Hmm," the doctor hummed thoughtfully, "Love has a lot of meanings: comfort, care, safety... But since I don't want to complicate things, I'll tell you this. Love is what makes you feel good on the inside. Something or someone that brings you joy. It is a beautiful feeling that only the ones who experience it would truly understand. So, why don't you go find out what love is?" Dr. Yoon jerked his head to the children on the swings. "See for yourself what it feels like."

"Love?"

Dr. Yoon gave a nod of encouragement. "Mhm. Understand what it is and maybe learn to love too."

The doe-eyes of the child narrowed in hesitance before a grin broke out on the lips.

"Okay, doctor."

—  —  —