21

The restaurant was a cozy place with plush chairs and a warm aesthetic fireplace. Heiran's fingers brushed over their wooden table as her eyes raked the dim, yellow lighting and the framed Renaissance painting adorning the walls. It was just the kind of romantic atmosphere Heiran expected on a date. She mentally awarded Hoseok extra points for details.

"So," Hoseok began and she snapped her attention back to him, a gentle smile alighting her lips. She tried not to appear too excited. She leaned back in her chair and relaxed. "So."

Hoseok went for a natural smile but the constant tapping of his fingers on the table gave away his nervousness. "How is working on the Yeongsan case going for you? It's the nation's hot topic these days. Must be stressful getting all that attention from the media."

A man who could recognize her misery, Heiran added five more points to his board mentally. "Tell me about it. It was all Mr. Silent Wolf's idea. He was the one who insisted on doing the trial instead of me and Mr. Popular made the story into the headlines. Now, look where that has gotten us."

"I'm so sorry to hear that," Hoseok sympathized before he shifted in his chair to sit more comfortably, "How's it working with Mr. Jeon Jungkook? Is he really that amazing like the media say?"

"Psshh, no!" Heiran rejected the man before he could get any idea about that stuck-up snob infesting her office. "He's all show and theatrics. I could do all the things he does just the same. There isn't anything special about that guy."

"Oh..." Hoseok muttered, his eyes observing her movements like he was trying to figure out if she was being truthful. "Is that really it? I mean, he solved the Hamilton director's case and it was a whole big deal at that time."

Now, why did it feel like she was on an interrogation? Heiran frowned but then the light bulb lit up on her brain and she internally smirked. Jealousy isn't a good look on you, Hoseokie.

"That guy is nothing, nothing, compared to me, Hoseok-ssi. I'm the one you need to watch out for." She winked, leaning forward to the table with a smug grin.

Hoseok's tapping on the table slowly grew incessant and it drew her eyes to his finger when he suddenly paused and laughed. "Ha...haha, that's funny."

The waiter appeared with their steaming orders and Heiran's focus momentarily shifted to the food as it was being placed on the table. It smelled so dang good that she couldn't wait to dig in but she held herself back. She worked quite hard on her elegant, mystic appearance for the sake of this, what Heiran considered, date and she couldn't ruin it all. So she patiently waited, wrenching her eyes away from the food to Hoseok as he carefully laid the napkin on his lap and seated himself properly like the well-mannered gentleman he was. Heiran did the same, though she couldn't recollect a thing about fancy table etiquette from her mom's old lessons. She internally sighed at the memory. I miss you, mom.

"The case must be going quite well then," he began, lifting the knife and fork from the table to get started. "Since, Ms. Ahn Heiran is the one who's working on it?" Heiran noted the inquisitive tone in his voice even if he tried quite well to hide it.

A suspicious look morphed her features, "Hoseok-ssi," she crossed her fingers over the table, narrowing her eyes, "Are you trying to spy on my case?"

"Ah, I– No, that's... I didn't–"

Heiran burst out laughing at the flustered look on his face. "Relax, I'm just messing with you."

God, wasn't he so cute?

His tense expression visibly relaxed at her reassurance before he managed to muster an embarrassed chuckle just as Heiran's phone vibrated against the table. Her eyes snapped up to the caller ID and she frowned at the name that flashed across the screen.