INTERLUDE

19 years ago_

"Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock."

Dr. Yoon Donghoon's eyes surveyed the five-year-old seated on the plastic chair across the table, a note pad and pen in his hands. The room was dim, the overhead bulb that flickered, being the only source of light. As he watched, patient 020413 remained calm, pensive eyes staring back at him wide in what could be mistaken as wonder. But Dr. Yoon was sure it wasn't that. There was something malicious behind them. They were eyes that beheld secrets. Eyes that spoke of an intent that wasn't noble.

He sighed, "Why did you do it?"

"Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock."

"Minji was just fine yesterday. Why?" Dr. Yoon implored, trying to isolate his emotions so that it didn't show through his voice. He was a doctor. He had to remember that.

"Tick tock. Tick tock."

"You were taking such good care of that cat. Minji was doing so well. She loved you. You even tied her that little bell-"

"Tick tock. Tick..."

"Why did you do it?"

"I was curious." The feeble voice spoke, eyes rising to meet the doctor's.

"Curious?" He questioned.

"Hm. I read somewhere...that chocolate could kill cats. I wanted to see if it would really die."

Dr. Yoon sighed, hiding an expression of pain. It had been two years. He was sure of an improvement. He was sure things were getting better but...they weren't.

"Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock."

Dr. Yoon's pen scrawled over the notepad in defeat, adding his observations to the patient record when the soft voice spoke again.

"By the way, doctor."

Dr. Yoon paused his writing.

"Did you find that pocket knife...that went missing from your coat pocket?"

He slowly looked up to the five-year-old who sat watching his expressions with a strange fascination and he paled.

"No...nonono... NURSE SONG!"

—  —  —