32

Heiran felt her world collapse. Her fingers began to subtly tremble and she pressed hard on the frame to stop it. A shaky breath breathed out her lips just as Jungkook's voice beside her began to speak cautiously.

"Heiran, I can explain—"

"Explain what?" Her voice was abnormally calm her voice was even though her insides were anything but. "How can you ever possibly explain any of this?"

He winced as if her words had wound him but he couldn't give her an answer. She sighed, tossing the photo back where it was, "All this time... I have been acting a complete fool and you never said a word..."

"Heiran, there was a reason—"

"No," Heiran shut him down, sweeping her hand out to him, "No, don't. Just don't."

She combed her fingers through her hair, her head veering up to stare at the ceiling as a bitter smile stretched her lips. "Was it fun? Toying with me?"

He opened his mouth to respond but closed it unable to find one. It didn't matter to her anyway. Since nothing he could say would make it better. She chuckled, savagely. "It must have been... considering that you kept the show going for so long."

Jungkook swallowed and tried again, "Heiran, please, it wasn't that—"

She cut him off, "I'm sorry. But I don't think I can entertain you anymore, Mr. Jeon Jungkook." She tilted her head, the walls springing up behind her eyes faster than he could keep up with, clouding her dark eyes.

"Show's over."

Heiran breezed past him to the guest room, determined to get out of there before the ache that threatened her heart burst out to reveal itself. 

"Heiran. I know I messed up but please, can you hear me out?"

Heiran spun around for the last time and Jungkook knew from the way her eyes shone that he had truly ruined everything. "You've lost your right. You've lost... your right."

She slammed the door to the guest room shut, pulling off the shirt and throwing it on the bed. Of all the people she expected to ever deceive her, Jungkook was the last. Heiran didn't know what hurt more: the fact that he had hoaxed her or the fact that she hadn't realized who he was all this time. The very one who had been haunting her life for the past eight years, the reason she had been so miserable and lost for so long had been right beside her for the past three months and it never occurred to her... not even for a second, that he was the answer to it all.

Heiran's emotions were a mess, coursing into her all at once, causing her world to spin and her ears to ring.

A searing pain cut through her head and she clutched it, collapsing onto the bed, a soft moan escaping her lips. She felt as if she were drowning and as her vision lost focus, she wondered if she might as well give in to the abyss that wanted to drag her down. She felt suffocated, hurt, betrayed, and desperately needed an escape.

The ringtone of her phone suddenly cut through her head, wrenching her back to the real world. Heiran breathed out a deep breath as she anchored herself there. An unknown number flashed across her screen but she recognized the number. Officer Kang.

That's right. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered to her more than her job. Her work life was her only escape, her only stability in life that relationships never offered, the only place she could argue and find factual evidence for every single occurrence, a reason behind every action that she could unearth, unlike emotional bonds. It was the only place she never felt lost.

That was the reason for her intense passion for her work. The need to keep working, the need to feel the solidity it offered, the craving to feel the satisfaction when she figured out the answers were insurmountable. But relationships could never offer those. Maybe that was why she had always been so indecisive. Not quite devoted to any of the affairs she got herself into. And maybe that was the reason what they said was absolutely true. She was that senior with terrible love life.