𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛 : 𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚛 𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍

—————

Through awkward stares and awkward conversations, I'd made it through the dinner. Jayde already started pulling away from the table when I spoke up.

"Hey Mom, do you need help cleaning up?"

A gleeful look spread across her face. Something about seeing her happy, even momentarily was one of the most refreshing things.
"Oh sure! But I mean, don't you want to hangout with them or something?"

"No, I've got it. You take a break for once."

"Thank you, GoGo."
Miles choked once he heard the nickname. She pulled back from the table, stood up, leaned over to me and planted a sweet kiss on my forehead. I smiled softly. It wasn't something I was extremely used to anymore.

"I'll either be outside or in my room if anyone needs anything." She added, fleeing from the kitchen just in case I'd change my mind.

"Alright. Have fun cleaning. Let's go Vin."
Jayde and Vinnie walked off together, talking lowly. Jayde snickered and made sure it was heard, even from the top of the stairs. Joey didn't take long to leave after that. Miles began to clear the table and I just stood there, puzzled.

"Um? What are you doing?"

"Helping?"

"I said I got it. Why don't you go hang out with Jayde and Vinnie?"

"Why would I do that?"

I joined him, helping with the clean up since I'd been the one who initially offered.
"Because they're your friends."

"You're my friend too."
He reached over me and grabbed the dish I was reaching for.

"Am I?"

"Seriously, Margo? What's with that? You're the only one keeping distance."

"Well we're friends but you can't even tell your girlfriend, yourself that we are and that we're making plans? Seems a bit pathetic is all."

"That's because Olive-"
He started but couldn't finish, because I stood up straight getting all too serious and interrupted him.
"That's because Olive is too insecure for her own good! Seriously, what is her deal with me? She's fine with you and my sister being friends, or any other girl in school for that matter. She's got such a problem with me. Do you know why? I mean, come on. She's nearly perfect on the outside, what's she got to be so worried about?"
I resumed picking up dishes, letting out a hard sigh. Why was I trying to argue about things I couldn't change? I'd just thank god she's wasn't my girlfriend. She'd be a nightmare to deal with.

"Yeah, but nearly hideous on the inside. Why do you let her get under your skin so badly? Since when did you need her approval to be secure?"

"Avoid the questions much? And for your information, I don't need her approval for anything, okay?"

"Then why can't we hang out?"

"Miles can you just answer my initial question? Is it seriously that hard?"

We both stopped and stared at each other, arms full of dishes. He started to form the beginning of a couple different responses with his mouth, decided against them, and sighed. He finally settled for an answer, which is the one he gave.