𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 : 𝚝𝚘𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚢 𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚛

—————

The night of the dance had finally come. I decided not to go to Miles' house that one night, although I wanted to. I just kept replaying what Vinnie had told me with the whole, "distance yourself" thing. I still had no idea what he had meant by that, but I surely didn't wanna find out. The rest of Friday night's conversation sort of fell off, but it wasn't his fault. I made myself sick to my stomach. I ran through several questions and answers in my mind, not knowing if any of them were true. I played about six different scenarios, working out intricate details, and upsetting myself over them. Why did I do this to myself so often? It didn't accomplish anything, and it didn't make me feel any more confident or secure on how I was to deal with my actual issues. Other than that, I'd actually been quite excited for that dance. There were no actual dates we'd be bringing along with us. We were all going as friends. Sadie, Millie, Joey, Louis and I. If we were to see someone at the dance, then cool. But the plan was to actually spend time together as friends and make it a memorable night. It was gonna be a night to remember, that was for damn sure. The one thing I did have to admit I loved about our school was that at dances, everyone wore formal attire, every time. Everyone always looked great. The night of the dance I was wearing a short-ish, royal blue, ruched dress. It was simple but I loved the way it looked on me. It hugged me in places that made me flattering to say the least. I chose to pair it with some block heels that were kind of plain but they did the trick. I didn't dress up all that much without a valid reason. That's why events were such a big thing for me. Every time I had to dress up I wanted to at least try to stand out. Ah, my birthday I felt the best I'd ever felt. I looked damn good. School dances were another poke at looking nice.

-

The gym had been decked out with nice decorations and lights, and the music was already going strong. The dj's they hired for the dances always did exceptionally well, playing music that we could've actually enjoyed. We danced to a few songs together until Miles approached by himself. He looked at us and piped up,
"Wow. Hey."

"Right back at ya. Wow."

He raised a brow and looked at me.
"What?"

Sadie said the words we were all thinking.
"You clean up nicely Miles."

"Oh this?"
He fumbled with his suit and grinned.
"Well thanks. You all look nice."

Millie and Joey started going on with their questions as soon as they could.
"Seen Olive around?"

"You think she's here?"

"I doubt it." Miles responded. "Olive likes to hold a grudge."

"Do you still not know where things stand between the two of you?"
I asked out of my own curiosity toward the situation.

"Maybe we could talk about this later a bit more privately?"

I nodded.
"I'm gonna grab some drinks. Any requests?"

"Need a hand?"
Millie asked, but Miles took the chance out from under her.

"I'll help her out."

"Oh okay, be right back you guys."

We headed over to the drinks and I chose from the selection. Some punch, some soda, some sparkling water, some plain water, some other juice.. Miles took half of the chosen drinks in his hands and I thanked him. I grabbed the other half and we headed back. We danced to a few more songs. However, instead of Miles joining, he just stood in the corner, watching. I'd chugged some water ahead of time, so that, mixed with dancing nonstop, made for an urge of the bladder.