𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 : 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚎 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚒𝚝

—————

He begged me to stay the night but I couldn't. I finished cleaning up, made sure he was okay, made sure Flora was okay, and left. I thought about what he'd said and what he'd done the whole walk home. I knew who I needed to talk to. Either mom or Joey. It was late, but I knew they'd be there for me. I could've asked Jayde, given that she was my sister and she claimed to be in love, but we hadn't talked since that night. It still didn't make sense to me. Why she would feel the need to do something like that, why she would feel the need to hurt me.

Prom was next weekend and even though juniors and seniors could attend, I had no intentions on it. Even if I had, it was practically too late now. Jayde had been shopping for a dress throughout the entire month, and she'd finally settled on one. I heard her babbling about it to mom the other day, saying, "I love it! It really accentuates my waist." Mom told her to try it on and she forced Joey and I to watch her show it off.
It was a pretty, v-necked, royal blue, spaghetti strapped dress. It had embroidered flowers all on the top, running down to about mid leg with sparkles on them. The whole skirt part of the dress was royal blue mesh and it flowed down to the floor. It really did look nice on her.
Joey stood up, gave her a hug and told her she looked great. He wasn't going either. When mom turned to me, hinting I needed to show some sort of support, that I needed to boost her already-large-enough ego, I crinkled my eyebrows and mumbled something out.
"Yeah, it's nice."
Well of course, with Jayde being the conceded, condescending individual she was, that didn't blow over too great.

When I finally got home, I hoped mom would have been somewhere in the main areas of the house but I was out of luck. I had been out a while. That just meant I needed to talk to Joey, which I didn't mind at all. I quickly made my way up the stairs and knocked softly on his door. When I got no answer, I knocked again. Still, nothing. I didn't want to wake him up. I knew he'd been going through a difficult time lately and he could use all the sleep he could get. I stood outside his door for a few seconds longer than I'd meant to and that had turned out to be a mistake, because what caught my attention were footsteps approaching me. When I looked up, it was Vinnie that I saw. What the hell was he doing?

"Everything okay, Margo?"

I brushed past him.
"Everything's fine. Go back to Jayde."

He followed behind me.
"She's sleeping."

Stopping, I turned around.
"Okay? Well, I'm exhausted so can you just leave me alone?"

"What's up with you?"

"I told you I was fine, didn't I?"

"Yeah, but I know that's not true. Your sister is dramatic as hell, you think I can't tell when something's wrong?"

I chuckled a bit. "You got a point.. but why should I tell you? You'll just tell Jayde. Besides, it's not exactly like you helped me out when I needed you before. You knew all about her plan and did nothing to stop it, or to help me. You let her get away with it."

"And that was fucked up, believe me, I know. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I should've been there for you and I wasn't. I know she's my girlfriend, but that was seriously shitty."

"Tell me about it."

"I know you have no reason to trust me and it may seem weird, but I'm here for you if you ever need something."

"Thanks.."

"I got you. Anyway, goodnight then. I think I'm gonna head out."

"Night."

I watched him walk down the stairs and when he was gone I went to my room. The moment I sat on the bed, my phone dinged. It was Miles asking if I'd made it home okay. I sent him a thumbs up and leaned back, grabbing the book that I'd stopped reading halfway through. I hadn't picked it up since that night. It'd felt good to have it in my hands, to feel the pages between my fingers. I read about a chapter before getting lost in thought. That was something I didn't want to do. I didn't want to think right now.

-

Days later, Miles showed up at my window. Just like the way he used to. He didn't wait to be let in, as he was probably already doubtful enough I'd allow him to. He wouldn't have been wrong for thinking that, because it was mostly true. The window was previously cracked open to let in fresh air, so it didn't take much effort for him to climb inside. Once he did, he looked around the room, scanning the differences since the last time he'd been there.

"What do you want, Miles?"

He looks over to me.
"To talk."

"And we couldn't have done that over the phone or something?"

"No."

Crossing my arms over my chest, I reply.
"Why not?"

"Because I needed to see you."
He slowly grabs my shoulders and sits me down on the bed to face him where he is standing.
"I have a lot to say, so please, Margo. Just listen."

I sigh, but nod in response.

"You have no idea how miserable I've been without you. I know you think I don't mean these things when I say them, but just, truly know that I do. That night, the night, I just didn't have a clue on what to say, or what to do. All I knew was that I didn't want to lose you, and that was the one thing that happened above all else. It kills me to know that I hurt you and all I've been wanting to do is take all your pain away, but I know I can't. All the pain that you have, whether I've caused it or not. I wish I could take all your pain and make it mine, but I can't. I know you asked me why I would've done something so hurtful, something so stupid. Truth is, I really don't know why I did it, and I would take it all back if I could, but I can't. All I know is that I haven't felt right since. I've felt something I've never felt. Something that confused me at first, but once I figured it out, it was too late."

Kneeling down in front of me and grabbing my hands, he continues.

"The other night you said I wouldn't remember any of what I said, but I can't forget what's always there. I love you, Margo.. I hear your voice in my head, constantly. It drives me crazy but I can't get enough of it. I can't get enough of you. I want to be around you. I want to taste you. I want to feel you. I want you and everything else that comes with it. I don't care what I have to do to prove that. I've never wanted anything as badly as I want you. I've tried staying away from you, but I just can't. It hurts me to. I don't want to hurt anymore, I just want to be with you."

"Miles.."

"Please, please believe me."

I cup his face in my hands and angle him to look in my eyes.
"Miles."
In that moment, I felt him loosen up. I felt his tension fall. In that moment, he stopped stressing and just stared into my eyes.
"I believe you."

—————