𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚎 : 𝚒 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞

—————

(!possible tw: mature themes!)

-

"Did you leave together or what?"
A pause.
"Don't lie to me."
Another pause.
"You can hang up, fine. But I'm not done with you."
Then, the last words of the call.
"Yeah, whatever. See you tomorrow."

I typically wouldn't have cared to listen in to Jayde's phone calls, but she sounded pissed, so my attention had been drawn. She hung up the phone and let out an exasperated sigh. Should I have bothered to knock and check in on her? Probably not. I hadn't planned on making it obvious and asking outright if she was okay, but I wanted to test her mood. I waited it out a little bit longer, not wanting to make it obvious I'd been waiting there. When I finally chose to go for it, I knocked lightly with the knuckle of my index finger. She whipped the door open, looking at me and you could see it in her face she was stressed.

"What do you want? I'm kinda busy in here."

"Oh, I just wanted to see if maybe you wanted to go and do something tonight?"

"What? Like, with you?"

I knew it. I bit my tongue the moment I said it. I didn't really want to go out and do anything. I wanted to stay home and read after the day I'd had. But, unfortunately that's what had come out of my mouth, so I had to run with it.

"Mhm."

"I don't know. What would we even do?"

"Whatever you wanna do, just grab your stuff and let's go."

"Pass."
She hesitated for a moment then spoke again, something completely different. "Actually, fine. For once you're choosing not to be boring. Just give me a minute."
Weird. Weird was the only word to describe it. She tried to play it well but it was clear she had a motive. We left with no idea where we were headed. We hopped in her car and she parked down the street. She turned to me and said,

"Okay, so seriously, what is up?"

"Nothing's up. I just figured we could both use some time away for a bit. I know you hate me and all but-"

"I don't hate you."

I scoffed.
"Funny, you could've fooled me."

"Really, I don't. I don't particularly like you, but I don't hate you, you're my sister."

"Like that means anything to you."

"What's the deal with you?"

"Wow, sounds like someone grew some balls."
I cringed at her comment. She pulled down her visor and flipped down the door to the mirror, the light next to it flicking on, casting a faint glow on her face. She grazed her eyelashes with the side of her finger.
"I wish my eyelashes were longer."
I watched her reflection in the mirror as she examined different parts of her face.

"Why would you want them any longer? They look fine the way they are."

"Look at your fucking eyelashes. You have good eyelashes, like you wouldn't even have to wear mascara or anything. Lucky bitch."