The Conformatorium

"You can open your eyes now, human," Eda told Hunter as they sped through the sky.

Hunter slowly inched his eyes open, grabbing onto the staff for balance as he realized how high up they were. "Okay, before anything else---what the hell is this place?"

Eda laughed. "This is the Boiling Isles. Every myth you humans have is caused by a little of our world leaking into yours."

He perked up a little. "Does that mean that vampires are real?"

"Yep. Vampires, griffins, giraffes---"

"Sorry, did you just say giraffes?"

"Oh, yeah, we banished those guys," Eda said, steering the staff down to the forest floor. "Bunch of freaks, really."

She climbed off of the staff, grabbing the sack. Hunter did a double take and let out a shriek when he saw that her hand had fallen off---and was still moving.

"Oops." Eda picked it up and screwed it back on. "That happens sometimes."

Hunter picked himself off of the ground. "Okay, I'll be honest, I've always dreamed about going into a horrifying fantasy world, but this is way too real and way too weird for me, so... could you maybe help me get back home?"

She grinned. "Only if you help me first! C'mon, human." She pulled him by the sleeve over to... a house.

It was the kind of house that you just had to live in. It was all white stone and stained glass, with a curved, sloping roof made of blue wood. The window at the top was shaped like a gigantic eye, but it didn't feel creepy or odd---in fact, the entire feel of the house was just... homey.

Well, with the exception of the living owl head embedded in the door.

"Knock, knock!" it hooted. "Password, please."

Eda poked him in the eyes, prompting a yelp. "We don't have time for this, Hooty. Let us in."

After a fair amount of complaining, Hooty opened his mouth as wide as the door, letting Eda and Hunter walk in. Once inside, Eda snapped her fingers.

Candles and a fireplace lit up, illuminating the cluttered yet cozy space. It had a feel that was both otherworldly and incredibly familiar---from the plushy furniture to the warm tones to even the framed Wanted posters on the wall. Hunter couldn't even believe that it existed.

"This is... wow," he murmured, looking around.

"Welcome to the Owl House," Eda said. "This is where I hide away from the pressures of modern life." She paused. "Also the cops. Also ex-boyfriends."

Hunter traced a finger along the walls. "Do you live here alone?"

A series of thudding noises sounded.

Eda cringed. "Actually... I have a roommate."

"WHO DARES INTRUDE UPON I..."

A small, doglike creature with a head that was half exposed skull appeared in the living room entryway, wearing a little red collar and a couple of bath towels. He was also clutching a little rubber ducky.

"The king of demons!" he shouted, his voice sounding a lot shriller than it did before.

Hunter looked down at him, then back up at Eda. "Your dog talks. Did you know that your dog talks?"

"Wh---HEY!" the dog yelled, throwing his towel down on the floor. "I am NOT a dog! I am the king of demons and you should FEAR ME! Eda! Why did you bring this monster here?"