Demonology

"And here we have the most fearsome creature in the Boiling Isles, the king of demons," Hunter narrated in a British accent as he filmed King rolling around on the floor. "Facing off against his natural enemy, the ducky sock."

King ripped the sock off of his nose and into shreds. "Where are you NOW, ducky sock!"

Hunter lowered his phone. "So, why'd you call me here, anyway?"

"Well, you've been so obsessed with witchcraft that you haven't learned anything about my kind," King said, walking over to a covered bulletin board. "So, welcome to..."

He pulled the blanket off of the board, revealing pictures of weird creatures attached to it---one of them featuring a giraffe. "Demons 101!"

"I'm gonna keep on filming this," Hunter informed him.

"You do that." King started to pace in front of it. "Demons are shady, mysterious tricksters of the night, creatures of sulfur and bone---"

"And abnormally tiny paws."

King ignored him. "Our only weaknesses are purified water, and passive aggressive compliments. Sometimes."

Hunter let out a snort. "Demons are sensitive? That's the best thing I've heard all day."

"Even demons have inner demons," King said ominously, then pointed at a picture of a freakish-looking turtle thing. "The most dangerous of the demons is a Snaggleback! He's a---"

"Wait, wait, wait, hang on, I gotta edit this appropriately," Hunter interrupted, adding a horror-movie filter and little blood splatters to the video.

"Hunter!" King complained. "Pay attention! This stuff could save your life someday!"

"What? This is how I pay attention."

A flash of lighting came from outside, followed by thunder.

King let out a dejected sigh. "Great. Looks like it's gonna rain."

"Perfect!" Hunter said, jumping to his feet. "I love the rain!"

"Hey, wait---" King started.

He pushed the door open and stepped out into the not-yet-stormy night, taking a deep breath. "There's nothing that sets the mood better than a nice drizzle---"

A drop of rain landed on a nearby flower, causing it to instantly wilt and burn at the edges.

"What the---"

"BOILING RAIN!" Eda shouted, running back in from the woods. "Everyone, get inside, NOW!"

Hunter barely had time to react before she grabbed him by the arm and threw him back into the house, diving right in after him.

"Well, that was close," she said, pushing back her hair. "But the important thing is, you didn't get hurt."

He slowly moved himself into a sitting position, making sure all of his bones were still intact. "Yep. Not hurt."

................

King put a Band-Aid on the tiny burn on Hunter's arm, then put one on his nose. "Look! Now we're boo-boo buddies!"

Hunter let out a little laugh in spite of himself. "If that's what you want to call it, then sure." He looked over at Eda, who was surrounded by a glowing yellow shield of some kind while busily working with a little ball of light. "Boiling rainstorm on the Boiling Isles, huh? This place has really interesting weather."

"Oh, we don't have weather here," Eda corrected. "We've got plagues, gorenadoes, shale hale, painbows---"

"It's like a rainbow, but looking at it turns you inside out!" King said enthusiastically.