(S2) Palismen Problems

(Warning: implied abuse)

Deep in the bowels of the Emperor's castle, there was a gigantic lab.

The heads of the nine covens made their way into the room, all inclining their heads in respect for Belos. They gathered around a fire pit with blue-green flames, eager to hear what their leader had to say.

Well, eight were eager. The ninth was watching in dread.

"The Day of Unity approaches," Kikimora announced. "On that day, we will celebrate the purification of magic under the coven system, just as the Titan intended. As heads of the nine covens, we celebrate your efforts to complete this plan. For this, you have earned a glimpse at the award that awaits."

Belos raised his hand. "Step forward."

The heads set their coven sigils into little indents around the fire pit. Swirls of different-colored energy went into the fire, causing it to leap higher.

Inside the flames, a scene formed—a scene that showed the Titan's eye glowing before it was suddenly surrounded by hundreds of buildings. Buildings unlike anyone had ever seen on the Isles. And rising above it was an eclipse.

"The larger your covens grow, the more power we have to unite our realms," Belos told them. "There, the worthy shall inherit a utopia free of wild magic—"

He stopped midsentence, grabbing his chest. The Golden Guard helped him to his feet and started to lead him away.

Kikimora stood up to follow them, but the Golden Guard just held up a hand. "You stay here, Kiki. I can handle this alone."

She helped Belos up the stairs and back into his throne room, closing the door behind them.

Belos fell to the ground, his mask falling off. He let out a series of growls as his body started to liquify—

And as the Golden Guard watched, he turned into his beast form with an unholy screech.

She quickly turned away as his beast form started to act out. The first time she'd seen this happen, she'd made the mistake of getting too close and trying to help—and she'd wound up with the first of her scars. By now, she knew the drill.

Make yourself small.

Don't look at him.

Don't make yourself seem like a target.

When she couldn't hear the thumping and screams of pain anymore, the Golden Guard turned back around as Belos put his mask back on. Wordlessly, she held out the guinea pig Palisman that they'd taken from a wild witch.

He snatched it out of her hands and broke it open, the substance inside flowing up into his mask as he inhaled deeply. His eyes glowed green, then blue, and then faded. The remains of the Palisman crumbled to dust in his hands.

Belos extended his hand. "I need more."

The Golden Guard laughed nervously. "Right. So, about that."

"Little Light..." His tone turned slightly dangerous.

"Okay the Palistrom wood's been over-harvested and that was the last from the reserves and I swear I meant to tell you sooner but with the Owl Lady getting captured and Lilith defecting and the whole business with the portal I totally forgot and I'm really really really sorry," she said in a rush, bracing herself for the inevitable impact.

Belos let out a sound of disgust and turned away.

The Golden Guard's hopes plummeted. "Papa, wait!" she cried, grabbing his cloak. "I can help you with this! We can make more Palismen! And I've been reading about this technique that involves harnessing wild magic to..." She trailed off as Belos looked back at her, remembering his stance on that.