(S2) No More Lies

A cube floated up in front of Hunter, revealing a scene in the kitchen of the Noceda household. Camilla was unpacking a box of Hunter's old things, giving a tinfoil swan a little boop on the nose.

"Mom?" Hunter said tentatively. "Mom, are you there?"

"Hunter?" She walked over, giving him a smile. "I didn't even hear you call!"

Feeling a slight rush of relief that he'd ended up in her phone, Hunter pressed his hands to the glass. "Fuck, it's so great to hear your—" He backtracked. "Sorry. Tone down the swears. I missed hearing your voice, is all."

Camilla blinked. "It's... um, great to hear you too. Are you okay?"

This is it. No going back.

"Ma, I found out who's been setting up those traps," Hunter began. "He's hurting a friend of mine. But first, I need to tell you the truth about these last few months." He took a deep breath. "I need to tell you about a place called the Boiling Isles."

..............

She didn't believe him. Of fucking course she didn't.

"You know, Hunter, if you really wanted me to pick you and your friend up, you didn't have to make up this elaborate story about the demon realm," Camilla commented, getting out of the car.

"Ma, for the last time, I'm not making it up!" he exclaimed.

She laughed. "Don't worry, I'll play along." She walked up the steps to the historical society and opened the door. "I know this stuff made school difficult, but I'm glad that you're still being creative, mijo."

Hunter started to say something else, then clammed up when he heard the sounds of Conspiracy Guy's muttering.

Camilla looked up. "Are you the curator here?"

Conspiracy Guy gave her a suspicious grunt. "Who's asking?"

Please don't let him say something racist, Hunter prayed.

"A little birdie told me that you caught a demon," Camilla said, sending a wink in Hunter's direction. "I would love to see it."

"Wait, how did you know?" Conspiracy Guy yelped, dropping something. "Do you work for the government?"

"Oh, I'm a veterinarian, actually—"

"Huh." He squinted at her. "So, the president sent a vet to study the demon's anatomy?"

Hunter's brain started to go into off-topic mode. Did we get a new president while I was gone?

No, who am I kidding? We absolutely got a new president.

"I guess so?"

"Sure, I'll show you." Conspiracy Guy whipped out his phone. "But first, I'll need verbal confirmation that I get to publish my findings first."

Camilla now looked entirely lost. "Uh... 'kay."

"Great! Now you're bound by law. Follow me."

She looked back down at her phone, beaming. "You even made me a part of your game! This is so fun!"

Mom, I love you, but godDAMNit.

Conspiracy Guy led her into the staff room, closing the door behind them. Hunter flinched a little at the covered-up cage in the center.

Camilla let out an excited gasp. "Ooooh! Is this one of those escape rooms? Or—what do you call them? A LARP?" She covered her mouth. "Whoops, sorry, don't wanna break the illusion."