(S2) Best And The Brightest

"Let out your inner flying freak!" Willow announced, holding Clover up high. "Once the Flyer Derby club is approved, we'll travel all across the Isles in rocking outfits and working as a team!"

An all-too-familiar sniff came from her right. "Good luck with that."

She did a double take as soon as she spotted the small, goatlike teacher being held by a pink Abomination. "Professor Homunculus?"

"I'm overseeing club approvals this year," he told her, pushing up his glasses on his nose, "and I just don't think that Flyer Derby is worth it."

"Just because it's not as well known as Grudgby—" Willow started.

"You misunderstand me," Professor Homunculus cut in. "I'm shutting this down unless you step down as captain. I don't think that quitters make good leaders."

"Hey, she dropped your class ages ago!" Gus said indignantly. "There's no reason for you to still be petty! Give her a chance!"

Homunculus smirked. "Okay, then. Put together a team for a friendly game of Flyer Derby after school—I'll be playing. If you can lead your team to victory, then maybe I'll approve your club."

He walked off, an air of smugness floating around him.

Gus patted Willow on the shoulder. "Don't let him get to you. You can do this."

"But Hunter and Edric are busy with their own thing, and Amity swore off sports forever after that Grudgby match with Boscha," Willow mumbled, feeling doubt creeping in. "I dunno where to find any good fliers on such short—"

"SHOVE IT, YA BIG FLEABAG!"

Willow and Gus jerked their heads up to see a Potion Track girl with a dark braid trying to fly away from Puddles. The baby griffin snapped at her feet, tugging off one of her boots—and revealing a rainbow-colored sock—but the girl seemed undeterred, maneuvering around Puddles and grabbing her boot right before it hit the ground.

Knowing full well that she couldn't miss this opportunity, Willow drew a spell circle and restrained Puddles with a couple of vines.

"Hey! You!" she shouted.

The girl let out a yelp as Willow yanked her out of the air, dragging her into the ground. Her face melted into an expression of pure shock.

Willow held up a pamphlet. "Wanna join my Flyer Derby team?"

..............

Oooooh Titan. It's Willow. It's really Willow. I'm actually meeting Amity's best friend.

Be cool, Luz... don't let it slip that you know her...

"This is Gus Porter, and I'm Willow Park," she introduced, shaking Luz's hand with enough rigor to tear off the arm of an ogre. "Future captain of Hexside's first Flyer Derby team."

Luz gave her an appreciative grin. "Dang, girl, you've got a grip."

"Your flying was amazing!" Willow exclaimed. "You're a new student, right?"

"Yeah," Gus added, squinting. "Weird that we've never seen you around. What's your name?"

Her brain short-circuited. "Uh..."

Viola chirped a suggestion into her ear. Oooh, pretty.

"Mirabel!" Luz repeated, eyes flicking over to a nearby tree. "Mirabel, uh, Pine. I just transferred from the..." Her eyes landed on the griffin, who was busily grooming its leg. "Uh, the Toes?"

"Well, welcome to Hexside!" Willow waved around the pamphlet, grinning. "So?"

Can't get distracted can't get distracted can't get distracted