(S2) Behind The Flame

"I'm just, like, super disappointed in you," Malphas said, rubbing the bridge of his nose—or, rather, beak. "Like, I can't even process these feelings right now." He sighed. "Gosh, it's so hard for me to say this, but, like... you're fired."

He drew a spell circle and Edric's badge fell off his neck. Edric lowered his head, his expression unreadable.

Malphas turned back around and floated into the library, the doors slamming shut behind him.

Hunter slowly looked over at Edric. "Ed, I am so—"

"Not right now, Hunter."

He fell silent.

"Everything's... everything's changed since you came here." Edric looked back at him, looking like he was about to cry. "Being around you, it—it makes me act stupid, and I—I wish it didn't. I really wish it didn't."

No... no, no, no...

Hunter started to shake a little, trying his hardest not to cry. "It's—it's okay," he mumbled, attempting to smile. "I—I act stupid around you, too, Ed."

Edric's breath caught. "I... I think I need to go home." He turned around and rushed down the steps.

As soon as he was out of sight, Hunter buried his head in his hands. "You asshole—you selfish, impulsive little ass—" He took a deep breath and pushed his hair back. "Nada funcionara a menos que lo haga funcionar. You can fix this."

He marched back into the library. "HEY! MALPHAS!"

.............

Boscha and Willow raced through the trees as the golems followed, all letting out unearthly howls. Willow waved her hand and ensnared one in some vines, then tripped another and caused it to fall apart, but the biggest one was still coming.

"What are we gonna do?" Boscha panicked. "That thing is gonna kill us both!"

Against her better judgment, Willow grabbed her by the arm. "We're hiding for now."

"Hiding? Are you—"

Willow pulled her behind a tree and clapped a hand over the pink girl's mouth as the golem ran past.

"There," she said once it was out of earshot, removing her hand. "Now I can chew you out."

"Hey, I'm not the one who made those golems!"

"But you're the one who got us into this mess!" Willow hissed. "You're the one who was dumb enough to challenge Bria, even though it wasn't any of your business! You're the one who dragged me into this and then lied to me about how it started! And you're the one who's been a metaphorical thorn in my side since I was a kid! I should've just said 'no' and left you to handle this all on your own! You don't even deserve my help!"

Boscha's face fell. "I—"

"No, don't you apologize!" Willow said, stabbing a finger in her chest. "You are well past apologies at this point, Boscha! Why do you even care about what Bria said? Are you so self-obsessed that any prick to your ego sends you into an insane spiral? Why—"

"BECAUSE SHE'S RIGHT, OKAY?!"

Willow stared at Boscha, who was panting heavily---like she'd just shoved off a gigantic boulder weighing down on her chest.

"What do you mean?" she finally said.

"Have you ever seen me use magic outside of the field or when I need to touch up my nails?" Boscha demanded. "Even in the halls? Even during class? Little levitation spells here and there, and that's it? Don't you find that a bit suspicious?"