(S2) Necessary Distractions

Hunter awoke to his phone buzzing relentlessly.

Struggling to keep his eyes open, he unplugged his phone from the makeshift charger (an invention put together over a weekend involving a jar and some electricity-producing flies) and checked it.

Event reminder with Mami—5:00 PM

Now he was definitely awake.

Oh, god, that's today...

How could I forget? I've never forgotten...

Doesn't matter. I can't focus on this right now.

Setting his mouth in a determined line, Hunter pressed ignore.

.........

A couple hours later, Eda and King walked into the living room to find Hunter busy at work on what looked like a massive conspiracy board.

"Oh! Good, you guys are awake!" he said cheerfully, turning around. "I've got a lot to show you!"

King rubbed his eyes. "Is... uh, is everything okay?"

"Yep! I'm planning on being productive today!" Hunter held up the to-do list that he'd scribbled out ten minutes after he woke up.

Eda took it, giving it a skeptical look. "'Successfully build a portal to the human realm... learn every glyph combination... figure out what Belos is planning and kick his ass to kingdom come?' You plan on getting this all done today?"

"Aaaaaand I've already learned a new glyph combo!" he chirped, plucking Francois off of King's head. "I call it the 'safety hover.' Watch this!"

Pressing the combo onto Francois, he tossed the stuffed rabbit into the air. Right before it hit the ground, it lingered in midair for a moment before neatly dropping onto the floor.

"Ooooh, that'll work great when birds try to fly away with me!" King said.

"And to top it all off, I'm already on my way to building a second door!" Hunter finished, gesturing over to... Hooty attempting to hold a bunch of supplies around an old door. And failing miserably.

"Okay, that's a work in progress. But!" He held up Eda's Penstagram scroll with triumph.

"Did you steal my—" Eda started.

"I borrowed it, because I've got a castle insider giving me info on Belos. Willow gave me Luz's contact." He typed out another message.

TheOwlLady: What's Belos planning

TheOwlLady: It's Hunter btw

TheOwlLady: What's Belos planning

Three little dots followed the final message before she responded.

Bluzbird: Hi! *smiley emoji* I don't know if you've forgotten *thinking emoji* but I actually have a JOB to do! *shocked emoji* So spam me with messages again *smiley emoji* and I'll fly over to the Owl Shack *flying bird emoji* nail your ears to the wall *angry emoji* and rip out all of your guts one by one! *smiley emoji* *smiley devil emoji* *knife emoji* *sparkly heart emoji* *knife emoji*

Bluzbird: (1) image

Bluzbird: DISREGARD DISREGARD WRONG PERSON DISREGARD

Hunter snorted at the picture of Luz's blue jay Palisman curled up in her cloak. "Gee, wonder who that's for."