The Bat Queen

"To Glandus High!" Hunter announced, throwing the door to the Owl House open. That caused Owlbert to jump awake.

"Oh, sorry, little guy," he said. "We're just on our way to help out some friends."

Willow, Gus, and Amity seemed entranced by Owlbert.

"It's perfectly carved," Amity whispered, giving him a little boop on the head. "And it feels so authentic. She must've made this before Palistrom wood started running out."

Hunter climbed onto the staff. "Everyone ready to board Air Noceda?"

The others followed suit, Willow murmuring something about the weight-to-power ratio. Owlbert flapped his wings and they rose into the air.

"All right, little owl," Hunter said, giving him a light tap. "Gun it!"

The staff zipped off, but instead of heading towards Glandus, it did a series of loops in the air. Hunter tried and failed to get Owlbert back on track, half ignoring everyone else's screams.

He was only aware of the tree a millisecond before they hit it.

WHAM!

The four witches fell off the staff and onto the ground.

"Ow ow ow ow ow," Gus groaned.

Hunter picked himself up off the ground. "Everyone okay?"

He spotted Owlbert lying a few feet away---and there was a tiny crack on his head.

"Oh, no, no, no, no." Hunter rushed over, but Owlbert flew off.

"What happened?" Willow asked.

"Owlbert---he---" Hunter shook off his shock. "We gotta follow him!"

The four of them raced off into the woods after the retreating form of the owl, Hunter internally berating himself. I should've just asked Eda! I should've just asked her to take us! We should've just stayed!

Eventually, Owlbert flew into a gloomy-looking cave. Hunter started to go after him, but Amity yanked him back.

"We have to be careful," she told him. "It's really easy to get lost in this part of the forest."

"Hey, this is Eda's Palisman," he reminded her. "She will literally kill me if we lose him. We gotta go in."

The group walked into the cave, looking around at the foreboding space.

"Wow," Willow commented. "I keep stepping on a lot of crunchy twigs."

Amity gave her a worried look. "Um... those are bones."

"Not if I never look down!"

A screeching sound came from the shadows, causing them to jump back.

Three little bat babies came out, staring up at Hunter.

"Hey!" he said, brightening. "I remember you guys! You're the Bat Queen's kids!"

Gus's face went slack. "The Bat Queen?" he squeaked.

"I---I think I'd rather take my chances with Eda!" Willow said, backing up.

Hunter kneeled down. "We're looking for a little owl. Have you seen him?"

They screeched in response.

He spotted Owlbert a little ways away. "There he is!"

Amity swallowed. "Hunter..."

"Thank god you're okay," he sighed, running up to him. "Let's take you home, okay, little---"

The Bat Queen herself stepped out of the shadows, blocking Hunter's path. Willow, Amity, and Gus screamed at the top of their lungs.