(S2) Better Off Brawling

King peeked out from Eda's hair. "Hey, look!"

She followed his gaze to none other than Warden Wrath, adjusting his own shiny champion belt.

"Maybe we can find out what Belos is planning!" King whisper-shouted, wagging his tail.

"And why Raine was acting weird at the parade." She grinned. "Good thinking, King."

Whistling under her breath, Eda sauntered up to the Warden, letting out a little "boo" as soon as she got close.

Warden Wrath held up his hands in a defensive stance, then let out a grunt. "Oh. It's you."

"And me!" King chirped.

"Been training since my student humiliated you in battle?" Eda said smugly. "Twice?"

He started towards her with a growl.

"All right, all right, chill out, Button Eyes," she told him, holding up a hand. "Just answer me this." She leaned in. "Heard any good castle gossip lately? Maybe something about the Day of Unity?"

Wrath let out a hollow laugh. "I see. So you finally need something from me, don't you, Owl Lady? But why should I help you?"

Eda grabbed him by the collar. "After chopping off my head—"

"Stealing my crown!" King said indignantly.

"And imprisoning my student-slash-child..." Eda let her right hand transform into a harpy's claw. "I think you owe me."

The Warden snapped his fingers.

A purple-haired witch wearing a sash that read Security in bold font yanked her arm back. "Sorry, Owl Lady, no fighting outside the ring."

"Okay, okay," she said, raising her hands. "Watch the goods."

King gave her a quizzical look as Eda strolled off. "Wow, you gave up pretty easily."

"Don't worry, King," she assured him, taking out a potion book from her hair. "I have a plan."

............

"Witches and demons!" the gigantic green demon announced into the mic. "Welcome to the Bonesborough Brawl!"

The watching crowd burst into a wild frenzy.

"You know the rules! Contestants will fight one-on-one—not for honor, not for glory, but for the ultimate bragging rights as the toughest duler on the Isles!" he continued, clearly enjoying this. "Last one standing will get a chance to snag the coveted Brawler's Belt from our reigning champion—Warden Wrath!"

The big man in question held up the belt to the light, probably grinning like hell under the Coraline mask.

"For our first round, we've got Scab the All-Knowing..."

A hooded Oracle witch appeared onstage in a burst of shadow.

"Verses the Mighty Mittens!"

Amity skated onstage on a ripple of Abomination goo, which turned into a full-on fighting creature once she landed.

"Now... let the brawl BEGIN!"

Hunter watched in mild fascination as Amity and Scab went head-to-head in blasts of purple and magenta magic. Unsurprisingly, it didn't take very long before Amity wound up beating their ass.

This is pretty damn easy for her, he realized. I guess I don't need to do much... just me, alone, with my thoughts...

His phone buzzed again. Mumbling a couple swears under his breath, he pulled it out and pressed ignore on the alert again.