(S2) Creature of the Ruins

As Hunter continued to follow King through the tower, Hooty and Lilith drew closer to the carvings on the wall.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Hooty whisper-screamed.

"These carvings—they're ancient," Lilith said, staring up at the bearded visage of an older, King-like creature.

"What does that mean?"

"Well, if I've never heard about this ruin, let alone this entire island..." Realization started to dawn on her. "Then who knows what parts of history we missed?"

Hooty whipped towards her, wide-eyed. "Are you saying..."

Lilith froze. "That he might actually have been—"

"THE KING OF DEMONS?!" both of them exclaimed, then looked back at King, who was standing triumphantly on a rock pile in front of a drawn battle scene.

"Ah, my kingdom," he sighed, wiping away a tear. "I, uh, got some bone dust in my eye."

Hunter looked up to an opening in the roof that was covered in rocks. "What was up there?"

King followed his gaze. "I... I can't quite recall," he admitted. "I just remember a muffled roar? Probably some minion praising my name."

"Well, uh, wanna head back?" Hunter asked, feeling that little chill again. "Don't get me wrong, this is awesome as shit, but Eda's probably on her third cup of apple blood by now, and the last time that happened, we had to drag her off the roof, so—"

Hooty slammed into Hunter, sending him sprawling on the floor.

"Your Majesty!" Hooty said, twisting over to King. "You know I was just messing around with you before, right?"

"'Your Majesty?'" Hunter repeated, getting back up—only to instantly get shoved out of the way by Lilith.

"It's clear that these ruins are of immense historical value!" she gushed. "Perhaps you could tell me more about them?"

King puffed his chest out, looking extra smug. "I suppose I could regale you with some tales! Am I using that word right? Regale?"

Hunter brushed himself off. Going a little too strong there, you two, he thought grumpily.

A rattling noise cut through his thoughts.

He slowly made his way over to a side room, giving it a nervous look as another rattle sounded. "Uh, guys?"

None of them were paying any attention.

Hunter walked into the room, looking around. Statues with moon heads like the ones in the front hall lined the walls, only instead of just being rock snowmen, they had actual limbs—and they looked like they were held together with muscle, which gave him slight flashbacks to his fight with Belos.

"What are these things?" he whispered, craning his head up to see more leading up to the ceiling.

The rattling noise sounded again.

Hunter looked back at the statues—and realized with a sickening jolt that one of them was missing.

Oh fuck no.

He spun around and saw the shadow of the thing moving back towards the hall.

..................

"And that's how I would annihilate my enemies!" King finished. "Who needs due process, am I right?"

Lilith held her light glyph up to an image of the King-like creature battling a gigantic monster. "Um, what does this image represent, my lord?"

He squinted. "It's hard to remember. But that handsome devil sure looks familiar, right?"