The Challenge

"Wait, Eda," Hunter said, running after her. "Where are you going?"

"Home," she responded. "I'm gonna wash the con funk off of my skin."

He waved a sheet of paper around. "We haven't even taken the quiz to determine our coven type yet!"

Eda blasted a little bit of fire through one of the options, then walked away.

"Huh," Hunter said under his breath, looking down at the sheet. "I guess I could sort of see myself being in the bard coven---"

He slammed right into someone. And, just his luck, that someone turned out to be Edric.

"Hey, watch where you're---oh, it's you," Edric said, narrowing his eyes. "Porter's fake illusion."

"Yo, Ed," Hunter said, figuring he might as well try civility. "Sorry about the confusion last week. I'm Hunter Noceda. The human." He held out his hand.

Edric slapped it away. "Yeah, I know who you are. You're the one that got me in trouble with the principal, and I never get in trouble---at least, I never get caught." He turned around and started to walk away.

"Oh, so do they have the same attitude about bullies in this world?" Hunter asked, following him. "Turn the other way if the cool student with straight As does it, make a big stink if the weirdo fights back?"

Edric stopped, then gave him a smirk. "Y'know, I'm surprised that you haven't been thrown out of the Covention already. Thought someone would've remembered that this is for real witches only."

"Actually, Eddie, I'm learning how to be a witch," Hunter countered. "I'm taking magic lessons from a witch with more power in her pinky than everyone else here combined, and a power-hungry, ferocious demon who could probably eat you if he wanted."

"Uh-huh, and is that your ferocious demon over there?" Edric said, pointing behind him.

Hunter looked over his shoulder to see King decked out in Covention swag, holding a cupcake in his hands.

"Cupcakes in my tummy-tum makes a king say yummy-yum!" he chirped. Hunter slapped his hand over his face.

King noticed him and ran over. "Hunter! Look at all these offerings---woah!" He tripped on his scarf, sending his cupcake flying.

Hunter barely had time to react before Edric stepped on it.

"Whoops!" Edric sang, giving Hunter a grin. "That was an accident."

"Why are you being such an asshole, Blight?" Hunter demanded, balling his fists.

Edric shrugged. "You and your pet are giving witches-in-training a bad name. I'm just setting an example."

"I am not a pet!" King screeched.

Hunter started to see red. "You know what, you Link-looking motherfucker? It's one thing to say that I can't be a witch---"

"'Cause you can't. Also, lame insult."

"But it's another thing to be a dick to my friends!" Hunter yelled, not even registering that the entire Covention was probably listening. "Just like Casey Cane said when she realized that her business rival Ella Putz had taken over her crime scene and potentially ruined her case---I challenge you to a witch's duel!"

Gasps sounded throughout the Covention hall as the weight of what Hunter just said settled in.

"Oh, this should be fun." Edric leaned in. "I accept."

Hunter swallowed. "Cool."

Edric beamed. "Great! Let's set the terms, then."

"One, if I win, you apologize to King for squashing his cupcake," Hunter said, pointing at the sobbing demon on the floor. "And two, you admit that humans can be witches, too."