(S2) Pity Parade

For the second time in the last few months, Hunter had finished a video to his mom. And not only did it not send, it did the exact opposite of what he was trying to do.

Told her how amazing and magical the Isles were? Got a visual of Hooty without his skin. Told her how he was learning magic and everyone thought it was awesome? Blinded Mattholomule by accident and nearly got a concussion as a result. Told her how Hexside was actually pretty safe compared to the rest of the Isles? Bump showed him the new-and-improved, fixed-up detention pit of nightmares.

And right now, Hunter would've taken all of that if it meant that he didn't have to listen to this conversation.

"Y'know, I think he does it because he's shy," Gus said with a wave of his hand. "He's just... evil and shy. It happens."

"I heard there's just a mirror underneath," Willow stage-whispered. "The real emperor was society all along."

Gus snapped his fingers. "Maybe he's so handsome, people have a hard time focusing on what he says! I get it! I can relate!"

"I honestly think he's just a normal-looking dude who's a total drama queen," Amity said boredly, tracing star patterns on the steps with her feet. "Either that or he's a robot. Wouldn't be surprised either way."

"Mmm, maybe." Gus brightened. "Ooh! Hunter! You've seen Belos up close, right? What's he like under..." He swept a hand over his face. "All that?"

"Don't know, don't care, didn't get a good look," Hunter answered. "By the way, if your second prediction was right, Gus, I'm stabbing myself with a spoon."

"I heard he's scarred from wild magic," Edric's voice said in his ear.

Hunter let out a yelp and fell backward. "Ed!"

"Hola, pescado!" Edric said cheerfully, helping him up.

He blinked. "Any particular reason why I'm a fish?"

"That's... that's a pet name, right?" Edric scratched the back of his neck, looking a little embarrassed. "Sorry, I'm still figuring out this human language book Gus gave me."

Hunter spotted the book in Edric's hand. "Well, Gus gave you a recipe book, so I think I see your issue."

Edric turned a very interesting shade of red. "Ah."

"Ah, it's okay, Eddie," Hunter assured him, ruffling his hair. "You're my favorite fishboy."

Amity did a "gag-me" gesture. "I'm happy for you guys, but seriously, get a room. It's bad enough that I have to deal with Emira bringing over Viney every chance she gets."

Edric sat forward. "So, ignoring Little Miss Killjoy over there—did the Titan blood I scored ever come in handy?"

"Ooooh, yeah!" Willow said, brightening. "Did you make a new portal door?"

"Did you visit your mom?" Gus asked eagerly. "Does she know about high-fives, too?"

Hunter froze.

Do I tell them about what happened and ruin their good mood, or leave it be for now?

I can't very well tell them that Mom doesn't want me ever coming back here...

And just because Eda and King took it well doesn't mean they will.

"Haven't used the door yet," he lied, hoping that he wasn't giving anything away. "Still a little wonky. We gotta work some kinks out before I can use it."

A telltale little hoot sounded from the sky, alerting Hunter to Eda and King flying down to pick him up.

"That's my cue." Hunter gave Edric a quick kiss on the cheek. "See ya, gamers."