Grunt Work

"Get back here, you little... what the..."

"Welcome to the Owl House."

"This is the Boiling Isles..."

"You can open your eyes now, human."

Hunter's eyes sprang open.

For a second, he panicked a little when he realized that he wasn't at home, but once he recognized the cluttered space and the little demon curled up at his feet, a bolt of excitement rushed through him.

"It wasn't a dream!"

He got up and threw the window open. "Good morning, terrifying fantasy world!" he crowed.

"Good morning!" a gigantic, tentacled creature said, waving from the ocean before sinking back in.

"Fucking poggers," Hunter whispered, grinning.

He turned around and gave King a scratch under the chin as he walked out. "Morning, Your Adorable Majesty."

"I'm not adorable," King mumbled.

"Yeah, sure you aren't, fuzzball." Hunter went down the hall to the bathroom, letting out a yawn.

"Hey, Hunter!"

He yelped and jumped backward when he came face-to-face with Hooty---who apparently had a very long, very tube-like neck. "Privacy! Dude!"

Hooty left, grumbling about just wishing him a good morning.

Hunter noticed his copy of Casey Cane on the bathroom counter and gave it a grin. "This is it, slugger," he told himself. "Your first day on the Boiling Isles as a witch apprentice."

After finishing up in the bathroom (and getting dressed) Hunter made a beeline for the closet. "Please have witchy clothes, please have witchy clothes," he whispered as he opened it.

He spotted the tattered black robes and crooked black hats and cheered. "HELLS yeah!"

It took some deciding, but Hunter finally found a hat and robe that he liked (though, he didn't expect the hat to be so heavy). He paired the look with a nametag and waited with bated breath at the foot of the stairs.

In what was probably only a few minutes, but what felt like forever, Eda appeared at the top, wearing baggy blue-and-purple nightclothes.

"Morning, Eda!" Hunter said in his most chipper tone, waving. "I'm ready for my first day of witch apprenticeship!"

Eda shook a bunch of spiders out of her hair. "And... who are you, again?"

Hunter's hopes instantly plummeted.

................

"C'mon, you have to remember me," Hunter said frantically, following Eda into the kitchen (and ducking as a mug with the words 30 and Flirty on it floated after her). "Hunter? The human? We broke into a prison and fucked a lot of shit up together? Yesterday?"

"Kid, lay off the details," Eda said, filling her mug with bright red liquid. "I haven't even had my morning apple blood yet."

He blinked. "You mean... apple juice?"

"No." She took a sip and sat down at the table, where King was stabbing what looked like Jell-O with eyes.

"Hey, teach me some spells!" Hunter said, leaning across the table. "Do I get a magic staff? Do I need my own runes or what?" He gasped. "Can I go on a dangerous and horror-filled magical quest?"

"Hey, slow down, kid. Being a witch doesn't happen overnight." Eda looked him up and down with a smirk. "Also, you're wearing a bathrobe and the dirtiest traffic cone I've ever seen."