ᴅᴀᴍsᴇʟ ɪɴ ᴅɪsᴛʀᴇss

↻ AUTHOR ࿐྄ྀ   dr_doofy↻ REVIEWER ࿐྄ྀ Kim_eats

↻ REVIEWER ࿐྄ྀ Kim_eats

First Light :: 15/20

» Title :: 5/5

The title is just perfect. It matches the story and is mentioned at the correct time in the book to give it a meaning other than the usual one. The moment anyone reads it I'm pretty sure they will think it's satire (which I did) and will take a moment to at least read the blurb.

» Cover :: 6/10

I read your bio and it said you do the artwork for your books yourself which is really cool and it certainly adds a special touch and meaning to it. Speaking from a reader's point of view, it has elements which are very much relevant to the story, the book, the hand watch and the princess. And the drawing is done really well, I just think you could be more creative with the backdrop, like adding a castle or a cathedral because it's a symbol of where Tara gets a sort of enlightenment about her situation or adding anything except the plain background currently you have to give it more depth and make it more attractive.

» Blurb :: 4/5

The blurb is short and upto the point without any extra details about the book. It did remind me of extraordinary you when I first read it but I have a feeling a lot of people will be attracted to it because it is intriguing at first glance. Though I find it fine as it is, I think adding a tagline or an effective dialogue from the book would brighten it more to attract more readers.

Dawn :: 10/10

The beginning and the aesthetics are just amazing. I was hooked to the story from the very first line of the first chapter. As a writer myself, and an avid reader, the first line hit hard and close to home. What was even more interesting was how it was Tara's pov but her mood board and aesthetics were never revealed. I admit I didn't notice it right away but it just made everything more believable and convincing. It was like, the book really wasn't about Tara but Elaine and Tay but not really about them. I hope you understand my sentiments here.

Moving forward, like I said in the beginning, I was expecting the book to be satire and though the first chapter didn't feel much like it the following chapters certainly were. There were a lot of moments where I burst out laughing just because everything was so true at the same time loved by many people.

Overall, the first few chapters are really amazing to read. I was almost fooled into thinking Tara was the main character despite knowing that she wasn't because she was most definitely 'not-like-other-girls' but too bad she was the sick sister of the tormented, rough and tough main male lead.

Plot and Idea :: 18/20

I wouldn't say it's a completely unique idea. I've read or seen a lot of books with a similar idea but the world building and the execution has always varied. This idea in particular can be used in various ways and I've read the more serious versions of it but it was my first time reading an actually relatable book because I'm pretty sure everyone has felt the frustration of seeing the same old plot being presented with different character names.

I just don't understand what's the writer's obsession with killing Tara in every one of their books. That too so brutally.

Nevertheless, I really liked the way you executed the plot and brought in the various twists and turns in the predictable story with Tara and Stein's characters.

Characters and Emotions :: 15/15

The characters were so well crafted. Cliche from a cliche book but the only intelligent or near to it person is shown as an airhead. So I sympathized a lot with Tara everytime she was made to behave in a way her conscience denied. Her emotions were explained very convincingly and I could feel her bewilderment and the frustration with all the other characters in the story around her. Tara in all is a really loveable character and it was really fun to read everything from her point of view. Especially when she realized she wasn't the main character.

As for the other characters, you did an amazing job crafting those cliche characters and all their drama. And Stein too! He was the cool, more intelligent character out of everyone but pitiful at the same time because he couldn't leave despite having figured it all out in the beginning but also having lost the fight. The gradual increase in desire of his to leave the story was very subtle but there through little gestures though nothing was too loud, fitting for just a 'supporting character' in the story.

Writing Style :: 13/15

For the time period you have chosen, I would say the writing style is perfect. The imperfection and the crudeness of Stein's dialogues also fit everything considering he had a conscience of his own and the fact that he was an engineering student before becoming a high priest.

There were a few places though that I thought could have been written with more finesse, especially the last chapter where Tara and Stein encounter Sorin. I know the whole point of the abruptness is to show how it happens in real books but some places left me a little more disoriented than I thought it was supposed to be. It's not that noticeable but for the fickle minded, it can be too much. If you just go over every chapter, you might be able to notice it as well.

Grammar :: 17/20

Your grammar is near perfect. I found a few typos and some misplaced, unnecessary prepositions but it can be easily rectified if you proofread it. But overall the lack of major errors make it a really good read.

There's one chapter where Tara meets Daphne for the first time and she calls her 'Lady Hoffman' instead of Wurtz. I don't know if it was deliberate or a mistake but do correct it as soon as possible if it's a mistake because it made me confused for the rest of the chapter.

Other than that everything else is near perfect and the vocabulary and the descriptions are great and fitting for the setting and the time period.

TOTAL :: 88/100

Reviewer's Note :: I really had fun reading the book and I'm pretty sure it reflected in the review but I still would like to say formally that I loved your book. It's a gem and I can't wait for the next update.

I hope this review was helpful to you and that you take it positively. Keep writing!

●◉◎◈◎◉●

Yours Truly,
SeeSaw Fam.