02

...
JANE

"you're late. again." my boss points out as i roll my eyes soon placing the annoying cup hat i had to wear here and letting my hands tie up my apron.

"i know— just had some issues this morning" he huffs while giving me a stern look soon letting me hear him mumble an 'always' before walking towards the back.

i fought the urge to flip him off as a sudden voice startled me letting my eyes drag in-front of me to see a young lady around her mid 20's with a small little girl next to her slender legs.

"come on baby tell the lady what you want" she tucks the little girls hair behind her ear as she jumps up and lets her small hands touch the counter as best as she could due to the height difference.

"can i-i get a b-blueberry muffin?" the kid spoke through a slight stutter as i smile at her and nod. "sure" i type in her product before looking at what i assumed now was her mother.

"i'll just get a black coffee" she states not leaving her gaze from her phone. "any add ins ma'am?" i ask but only received silence in return.

"mom" the kid tugs on her pants as she groans and looks at me. "didn't you hear clearly. i said black coffee. just do as i say" she spats out as i pause calculating her tone of voice.

rolling my bottom lip between my teeth i only nod. "sure ma'am" she sighs before coming near the counter as well.

"i'm so sorry i've just had a rough morning" i let out a chuckle. "tell me bout it" i shake my head while i grab the kids blueberry muffin and hand it carefully towards her.

she soon enough dives in with her little mouth and bites into the muffin with a hum and a toothy grin afterwards. "actually..." the lady says stopping me from prepping her drink.

"do you know anyone that may want to do a babysitting job?" she asks as i shake my head in her direction as i begin making her drink again.

"not really no" she curses under her breath as i add a lid over her cup before placing it on the counter. "what about you?" i look at her before shrugging.

"i'm pretty busy i'm sorry" i lie as she waves it off. "it's fine i'm sorry for wasting your time" she grabs her cup of coffee before handing me a 20 dollar bill.

"keep the change" before i could respond she turns around starting to head out with her little girl as i sigh.

suddenly my mind went to vincent before gasping. i could pay my rent with the money from the shop so i could use the money from babysitting for teaching.

"MA'AM!" i shout probably startling the other customers in the shop as she turns around, halting in-front of the door.

i go ahead and walk around the counter towards her. "actually i can babysit." it seemed as her eyes lit up as she smiles at me with her pearly white teeth.
"you're such a blessing seriously!" she thanks me as i smile at her genuineness.

"here" she zips open her purse before handing me a small card. taking it from her i turn it around to see a number written on the back with a gold lettering over top.

mitchell corporation

holy shit.

i look at her quietly as i only give her a nod. "call me when you can and i can make you come to me and my husband's place to make sure you're adequate for the job" still silent i nod once again earning a chuckle from her.

she bids her goodbye before taking her little girls hand in hers and finally walking out of the shop.

silently, i walk back behind the counter with the card still in my hands. mitchell corporation. THE mitchell corporation.

i place it down near the register as my hands come towards my mouth and sliding down towards my neck. not only is her company RICH but supposedly her husband is one of the most wealthiest men out there in business as well.

money.

teaching.

rent.

a smile soon spreads on my face as i imagine myself teaching. i guess i was up in cloud 9 as a customer whistles at me afterwards.

"i'm sorry" the new customer just ignores me before starting to order their food again. only thing in my mind was the babysitting job.

please do me good.

-

placing my apron back onto the worker closet i grab my stuff before walking out from the back.

"see you tomorrow if you even come" my boss spoke checking the register as i roll my eyes and head out of there.

once i step foot on the cracked up concrete, im immediately met with the sounds of loud cars honking and people spewing profanities for them to move out their way.

my hand digs up for the card in my pocket from earlier as i check it once more like an expensive jewel.

was it really worth it though?

"MOVE IT!" i hear a louder shout making me look to the side to see two crackheads fighting once again for a ritz cracker someone left in-front of the bodega.

shaking the image away i kept on walking till i had arrived back home, still clutching onto the card.