07

...
JANE

"CHLOE LUNCH!" i shout from the kitchen as i hear her respond back with a 'coming' and soon enough hearing her small foot sounds slap onto the flooring making me let out a chuckle.

placing the decorative plate onto the table i see her coming from the corner before jumping into her seat and licking her small lips the best as she could.

"what's this" i look down at the plate to see the dish i made that i had learned from vincent the day i moved into the apartments.

"baby it's just a veggie pasta" i knit my brows together confused on how she didn't know what it was. "it's delicious!" she now spoke through a chunk of tomato in her mouth as i playfully roll my eyes at her and gesture her to be quiet and eat.

it hasn't been a stressful day today especially being around chloe. i haven't had the need to call amber or dominic about any concerns. it was as simple as that.

ever since they both left us alone i've seen the backyard, the wide living room and even her bedroom. which by the way for a 4 year old it has looked like it was originally meant for a fucking teenager.

i sigh before scooting near chloe only for me to see the front house doors finally open up to reveal dominic walking in.

"no amber?" i ask blurting it out as his gaze snaps towards mines and only kept it quiet as he moves along and up the stairs, not even daring to respond to me.

"she is probably at work!" chloe 'hints' as i nod and pat her head. kids these days can be so innocent.
my question now roaming in my head was why the hell was he being so quiet.

not like it was any of my concerns but now that i work here he should have some decency to be nice; even if it means faking it.

chloe spots me before telling me she finished as i grabbed onto the plate and soon see her run up the stairs probably towards her father. i walk towards the sink before putting some soap onto the tough sponge to clean up the dishes she dirtied today.

although they had a dishwasher i personally like to go with the 'broke' and efficient way which was doing it by hand.

as i went and grabbed the butter knife i had used earlier for a sandwich she wanted i get scared when a presence is to my left and a voice booms amongst the kitchen, making me drop the knife back onto the sink and turn around to see dominic now dressed in simple clothes.

"you know there is a dishwasher right" he states the obvious now moving behind me to open the fridge and pop out with a beer in his hands.

"i like to do it by hand anyways" he only responds back with a shrug before opening the beer and taking a long sip out of it making me glance up for a moment at his bobbing adam's apple.

"so..." i pause stopping my circle movement on the last plate waiting for him to continue whatever he was going to say. "how has chloe managed to be with you today? was she okay to handle?"

i suddenly let out a breath i didn't know i was holding out of relief as i only nod and smile at the thought of chloe.

i liked how he didn't push a conversation about everything we had between us and instead focused on the present.

i was now the babysitter for his child.

nothing more nothing less. even if it meant hurting deep inside. "she's a sweetheart. i already adore her so much. plus she is super easy to manage and work with so i'm fine" dominic smiles at the praise for his daughter as i finished up the last plate and dried my hands onto the white hand towel.

"is she—" "she's in her playroom. you can leave already if you'd like i'm already here so i can take care of her for the rest of the time."

he interrupts placing his almost done beer now onto the counter before inching closer towards me. i only push myself away from him before nodding momentarily.

"then i'll just be heading off." with that i push past him ignoring his grunt before grabbing my stuff and heading off without another word to spare to him.

DOMINIC

"daddy!!" chloe shouts hopping towards me as i lift her up in my arms making her giggle and grab onto my biceps. "where is jj??" she pouts looking behind me as i look at her directly.

she even has a nickname for jane already.

"she left munchkin." at the end she pouts even more with glossy tears and a sigh. "can she come tomorrow to play then" at the sight of chloe getting happy at the mention of jane i only smile at her softly.

"let's see tomorrow hm. right now let's get you ready for your nap" with that she hops off my arms and runs upstairs back by what seemed like her bedroom.

i run my hands through my black hair letting some strands fall down my eyebrows as i suddenly get a text from amber.

i'll be heading back home in a few minutes. did jane leave already?

leaning onto the kitchen countertop i wipe my bottom lip before typing out to her.

yeah actually she left a few minutes ago since i arrived back home on time.

k that's great! i'll see my loves when i get back tonight alright :)

shutting my eyes for a split second i like amber's text before shutting off my phone once i hear chloe call me to read her a nap time story.

this will definitely be one hell of a ride.