06

...
JANE

dreading the fact that wednesday had already came around i went ahead towards amber and dominic's home for work.

back at the shop i called my boss to tell him to switch my days but he only yelled at me through the phone and hung up mid-way through the conversation.

by the looks of it im guessing i'm already fired from there so i better get paid as good from here i hope.
i ring the doorbell once more as i wait outside realizing it was going to be a hot day just for me to wear a long sleeve and jeans.

stupid bipolar new york weather.

soon enough the door opens up only for amber to smile at me and gesture me to enter inside. i do as she says before looking ahead and seeing smoke coming from the kitchen.

"did i come too early i can step out for you to eat your breakfast." amber grabs my hand before shaking her head as if i was saying some sort of nonsense to her.

"never the case. we actually just started breakfast so come and join us" she starts dragging me towards the kitchen as i silently pray he wasn't there.

i guess my prayers didn't work as once we enter the kitchen the first thing i see is dominic with a black work shirt and slacks.

his sleeves were raised up as he cooked something in the pan in-front of him while chloe colors in a coloring book on the bar table.

our footsteps come to a stop as they both turn to the side before chloe gasps and drops down to reach towards me.

"hi hi!!" she gives me a toothy smile as my heart warms up at her cuteness. "hi sweetie" i smooth her blonde hair back as she giggles.

"jane why don't you sit down next to chloe. we'll finish up here real quick" i only nod before heading towards the stools and sat down next to her.

as she kept rambling on how pretty i am and how the butterflies on my wrist deserve some color i stole glances towards the side to see amber sweetly kissing dominic on the lips before smiling at him.

my heart felt like being stomped on as i only looked back down and swallow the lump feeling in my throat.

why couldn't we have been like that.

soon the sound of silverware and plates followed along as i look up to see them both placing the breakfast food on the table.

amber reaches for a chair in-front of us only leaving one seat next to me. dominic looks at me before pulling a chair and sitting next to me; catching a small whiff of his strong cologne that made my knees wobble.

"thank you for the breakfast i didn't really mind" i poke into the sunny side up egg as amber smiles and digs into her fruit bowl first.

the kitchen was quiet now as we all ate in pure silence not daring to speak up and ruin it.

as we all finish up dominic grabs all of the plates before placing them in the dishwasher to turn on.
"okay so—" amber starts kissing chloe on the top of her little head.

"—we have to go for an issue we have to resolve but we'll be back probably around noon so if anything call us." i nod in response. "i also left dominic's number on a sticky note in the kitchen with the rest of the stuff you should know about and you already have mines so you'll be fine."

with a tight lip smile i give her an 'ok'.

both dominic and amber quickly bid their goodbyes before kissing chloe and heading out not forgetting to slam the door shut and head off.

as i look for chloe i already see her back on the stool and continue her coloring as i look for the sticky note in the kitchen somewhere.

everything in here looks fresh and brand new. something so simple yet decorative as i worried that if my poor hands touched anything here they'd probably break.

looking at the double door fridge i snap my fingers soon seeing the sticky note. going towards it i rip it off and started to read what i had to know.

1. NEVER go into our room only if needed.
2. chloe has allergies towards blueberries so NEVER give her them or get them near her.
3. she always have ballet classes on saturdays at 7 through 9 so please just incase we're not there take her.
4. you will sometimes have to come on long trips with us for chloe. your expenses will be paid if so. (flight ticket, hotel room, etc.)
5. chloe likes to eat junk food but can't eat a lot so just hand her cookies or chips.
6. NEVER HAND HER SWEETS.
7. here is dominic's # just incase. 718 ————

i huff out a long sigh as i finished reading the note.
looking back at dominic's number i shake my head before scrunching up the paper and placing it in my back pocket.

chloe calls for me as i walk towards her to see her waving onto her paper. "that's beautiful chloe" she thanks me before handing me some old half broken crayons.

how are they rich but can't get simple non-broken crayons for their own child.

"let's color together!" she smiles as i chuckle and grab the crayons she handed to me, making sure i didn't break them more than what they already were.

"let's do it."