05

...
JANE

he pushes his shirt down before moving towards me only for my hand to come up as a stop and touch the knob of the office door.

the sudden nervousness i've felt before was now replaced with the feeling of sickness. i could sense my stomach twisting as i stare at him.

"jane" i shake my head. "i thought you left" he opens his mouth but yet gets interrupted once more as i went on. "you left! no no. you FLED! you were away!?" my voice cracks as his eyes droop down to me.

it's been almost 5 years since i've seen him. since i've smelt him. touch him.

"jane please..." i open the door before heading out leaving him behind in his stupid office. not one phone call. not one text. not one visit.

to think our past was now dead was an understatement.

this was only the beginning.

DOMINIC

my heart beats rapidly as she leaves my office letting the wind fly by as the door rapidly shuts once again leaving me alone.

i knew it was jane since the moment i saw her in the kitchen and a small glimpse of her butterflies caught me. i just wanted to make sure it was her.

and it was.

i groan slamming my hands on the oak wood desk before hearing the door knock soon letting a worried looking amber come into the office.

"where's chloe?" she points towards the backyard as i only nod. her eyes look at me from head to toe before coming towards me and placing her lips on my shoulder for a split second in a small kiss.

where her lips were her hand was soon replaced over top. "what happened in here?? jane just grabbed her stuff, bid her goodbye and rapidly left from here."

at the mention of jane i feel my stomach twist.

"did you scare her away. god damnit dominic!" she sighs raking her hands through her hair. well part of her hair due to the braids slipping apart already.

"we NEED to get a babysitter and she was a good sport!" she exaggerates making me groan. "i didn't scare her away okay." i stand up.

"she can have the job" i didn't know what i was doing. the words i was saying. all i knew about was that jane was now here.

back in my life.

seeing the way her eyes catches onto the wedding ring. seeing my NOW wife. my child. something we both wanted back in freshman year of high school.

except now it's not with her.

i internally slap myself for being such an idiot as i recall our moments. the toxicity of one another yet the power we had to go back.

every. single. damn. time.

"THAT IS WONDERFUL!!" amber cheers before kissing my lips letting me savor her pineapple chapstick she normally wears when she's at home.

"i'll text her and get her to come in on wednesday! we'll have to head towards the corporate for some work real quick so she can take care of chloe" was all she said before walking out of the office.

"fuck." i mumble as it was now my turn to push my hair back for a clearer view.

what was i going to do with her.

JANE

"hell no" i snap slamming my phone down at the checkered colored table and putting a mouthful of now dried up pasta into my mouth with a big bite.

i've gotten ambers texts about the job and how i've gotten accepted. saying how i should be there on wednesday at 7 to take care of chloe for the day till both her AND dominic come back.

dominic.

"did you get the job?" vincent spoke sipping onto his cheap beer before sitting down at the table and glancing for a moment at the soccer game playing on the crappy old tv.

we were both currently at his place which was on the first floor of the apartments. i normally come here for dinner on monday's just for some simple company.

also due to the fact that he's like a father figure to me. he's just a lonely 58 year old man owning shitty apartments in new york... i think he's good with my company.

"yeah..." he claps whether to me or the soccer win as i finish up the balled pasta that was in my mouth.

"THATS GREAT! more money for me, for YOU to finally pay rent and for your teaching!" he smiles with a laugh as i only scratch the nape of my neck.

he realizes something is wrong as he grabs the taped up controller and mutes the tv before looking at me with his dark eyes.

"you're lucky i like you enough to mute the game so tell me..." he places his hands on the table. "what's wrong jane" his voice lowers a few octaves making me look at him.

with a sigh i rub my eyes before letting it go.

"it's dominic. he's the father of the child i'm going to be babysitting..." i mutter now feeling vincent's eyes burn into my skull as he slams his hands down.

"you're not going to work there!" i snap my head towards him as he shakes his head and stops drinking his beer.

vincent knows the story behind me and dominic. how he treated me, our back and forths, and even the way we started.

he's been detesting him ever since then.

"maybe i could still just—" "NO JANE!" he throws his hands in the air as i groan. "i'm now an adult vincent. not some sort of 14 year old back in the first year of high school. i can take care of myself and i promise you he won't do anything. neither will i."

he pauses for a moment still waiting for me to go on.
"plus... he's married and i'm not a homewrecker."

he nods before i soon feel his hand wrap around mines softly. vincent may sound and act mean but in reality he's a sweetheart and such a softie. especially when it comes to me.

"just take care of yourself and watch out jane. i don't want him to fuck shit up" i understand where he's going on about as i let him know it's alright.

i can do this.

i hope.