You Could Be My Baby(✨)

Bearandleonardwrite

Summary:

Harry wants Louis to do something special for him, and Louis loves to please his baby.

Work Text:

Harry walked into the office and saw Louis sitting at his desk rifling through his papers.

“Uhm, Lou, are you busy?” he asked timidly. He wasn’t really sure how to broach the subject and Louis being busy was kind of comforting to him; gave him a bit more time to figure out what to say and to do more research.

Louis turned his head and looked at Harry in question. “Kind of. Just looking over the stuff I gotta do next week. Are you okay?”

Harry nodded his head, probably too enthusiastically, before answering, “Yeah, I’m, uhm, good. Yes.” With that Harry turned on his heels and walked out of the office.

It’s not like what he wanted to talk about was bad, it wasn’t by any means. It’s just that. Harry had never expressed interest in this, and he wasn't sure how Louis would react. In his head, there’s only two ways it could go: either Louis would be totally on board and everything would be good, or, Louis would think he’s mental and leave him.

Yes, he’s probably overreacting, but he can’t help it. He doesn’t want Louis to think any less of him and it’s kind of a huge step for them, for anyone really. Harry sighed heavily before he walked into their bedroom and flopped face first onto the bed. How on earth was he going to broach this topic?

***

The next time Harry tries to bring the subject up it’s over dinner. Louis’ made a really lovely dinner and he’s talking animatedly, using his hands for emphasis. Harry’s not really paying attention, though. He’s sitting there staring at his mashed potatoes and pretending to listen.

Louis must notice, because he stops half way through his sentence and gently kicks Harry’s leg under the table. He waits until Harry looks up at him before speaking, “Baby, are you ok? You seem worlds away.” He has a gentle little smile on his face and Harry feels awful.

“Uhm,” Harry starts before clearing his throat. “Yeah, I’m ok. I just wanted to talk to you about something.”

Louis sets his fork down and folds his hands, giving Harry his full attention. “Ok, what’s up?”

Harry looks down, can’t bear to look at Louis right now, and clears his throat a few times. “It’s just. Uhm. I was just wondering. Well actually I wanted to know. Or not really. I mean.” He cuts himself off and shakes his head. “No, never mind. It’s ok.”

Louis looks at him with concern and rests his hand on Harry’s. “Are you sure, baby? Whatever it is, I’m here for you.” He’s so gentle and beautiful and Harry just can’t.

Harry pushes his hair out of his eyes and smiles brightly, hoping Louis will drop it. “Yeah, I’m really good. Sorry, what were you saying?”

Louis looks hesitant to drop it, but eventually he does and continues on with his story.

***

Harry’s forced into talking about it later that night. He’s laying in bed, the covers pulled up to right under chin, and he may or may not be sulking. His back is facing the door and he’s lost in his thoughts. He just can’t stop thinking about what could happen.

Logically, none of things he’s thinking about will happen. Louis will always love him, no matter what. And if he’s not into it, he’ll just say so and that’ll be done. But it’s just the what if that has Harry’s mind going. What if Louis thinks he’s crazy or that something's wrong with him? What if Louis thinks it’s disgusting and tells him as such? What if Louis’ embarrassed by him? He’s stuck in the constant state of ‘what if’ when Louis walks in.