Mayday, Mayday (✨)

iwillpaintasongforlou

Summary:

Harry works for Kindle Fire as the person who video chats you with IT support every time you press the Mayday button. Louis needs a lot of IT support and it is definitely not because of who answers his calls.

Fast forward a bit and Louis takes to video chatting his boyfriend at work for things other than IT support. But he doesn't think he can really be blamed for that. Isn't it Harry's job to take care of him, after all?

Work Text:

“I can’t believe I blew an entire paycheck on this stupid thing,” Louis huffed in great irritation, tossing his brand new Kindle Fire on the couch next to him and crossing his arms like a petulant child. “It doesn’t even work right!”

“I’m sure it works just fine,” said his best friend Zayn with a put-upon sigh. “You’re just daft with electronics and you know it.”

Louis glared over at the younger boy. “Oh yeah? Well let’s see you get it to sync my files.”

“I can’t, I have to go to class. But you know what, let me know when you figure it out, yeah?” It was a bullshit excuse and both of them knew it, but there was little more Louis could do than stick his tongue out at the door after it closed behind Zayn.

After a few minutes of brooding, Louis picks his tablet back up. He's been purposefully avoiding seeking any sort of help from the internet because he is an intelligent human being who does not need strangers on the internet to solve his problems for him. But after several hours of trying fruitlessly to sync his already purchased items to his new device, Louis was starting to get desperate.

It might be slightly less weak for him to go straight to the manufacturer with his problems though. After all, obviously the stupid thing was not working correctly, so he might have to wind up contacting them in the end anyway to get a refund. Yes, this may in fact be the best option.

After first checking to make sure that he was wearing enough clothing that he could be seen by people other than his long-standing best friend, Louis sought out the Mayday button he'd seen advertised on the commercials, heaved a sigh, and pushed.

Within a few seconds, his screen lit up with the face of a very handsome man, probably only a few years younger than Louis. He had fair skin and dark, curly hair, and when he reached up to adjust his headset Louis could see tattoos on his arms that seemed out of place on the same body as those bright green eyes and deep dimples.

“Hello, my name is Harry. How can I help you today, Mr. Tomlinson?”

“Louis,” he corrected immediately. He wasn't even ready to accept that he was an adult, much less somebody worthy of being called mister. “Um, I need some help.”

“Well luckily you've come to the right place,” Harry said with a smile. “What seems to be the problem? I'll be happy to help you in whatever way I can.”

It's probably just a spiel that he’s taught to say, maybe even something written on an index card and taped to the side of his monitor, but somehow Louis feels like this pleasant attitude of Harry’s is not put on. The idea of somebody working in a tech support hotline environment being so genuinely cheerful and desiring to help makes Louis grin.

“Well I'm sorry to break your happy little heart, Harry, but I think I have a defective device here,” Louis said grandly, smoothing his hair down a little. “I've only just got it this morning, and I'm trying to get it to sync my files so I can get all of my books and movies and things, but it isn't working. I can't have broken it already.”