22. Fusion Cuisine

Steven, Y/n and Connie are watching "Under the Knife" on the TV together in Steven's Room.

"Doctor, it's my son. There was an accident. I..."

"I know what we have to do." The doctor on the tv says. "Nurse!"

"Yes, Doctor?" A nurse on the screen says.

"Prep the patient for emergency surgery. We're gonna go... under the knife."

Connie screams happily. "Ugggggh! This show is so good! Aaah! Thank you so much for letting me watch "Under the Knife" here, Steven."

"You're welcome." Steven says cheerfully.

"How comes you can't watch the show at home?" Y/n asks Connie.

"My mom says this doesn't represent a real emergency room." Connie sighs. 

"How did his legs... get into... his brain?!" The Nurse on screen says dramatically. 

"Yeah, I can understand why she might say that." Y/n chuckles.

"She just doesn't understand that it's satire." Connie says now as her phone then begins to ring.

"Is that your phone?" Steven asks.

"It's probably my mom."  Connie says as she retrieves her phone from her purse. "Called it." She puts on her glasses, clears her throat and answers the phone. "Hi, Mother. It's Connie. Mm-hmm. Yes, ma'am." She looks at Steven. "I'm at the home of Steven Universe. Mm-hmm. Yes, ma'am. We're...we're just hanging out. Oh... Steven's parents. They're, uh—they're in the other room. You would like to talk to Steven's mom? Oh, okay. Hold on a moment."

Steven gets worried now. "That's gonna be pretty hard since my mom gave up her physical form to make me."

Connie covers her phone with her hand. "I can't tell her that!"

Steven and Connie both run down the steps and towards Garnet, who is chilling on the couch in the living room.

"Garnet, quick! You have to pretend to be my mom to Connie's mom."

Garnet takes the phone. "Hello." She starts awkwardly. "This... is Mom Universe. Yes." She adjusts her visor. "The children are playing swords. Sorry... playing with swords. They're bleeding. Oh no, they are dead. Don't call again." She hangs up the phone and returns it to Steven. "Sorry, I panicked."

"That...could have gone better..." Y/n says knowing this was going to cause a problem.

Steven and Connie however both look shocked.

It was a few days later and Steven was chatting over the phone with Connie while dressing a cake in his kitchen.

"Aw, what do you mean, your mom won't let you come over?" Steven asks. "It's the midseason pre-finale of  Under the Knife! Y/n's coming along so you have to be here to watch it with us!"

Connie was back at her home. "Steven, my parents are really upset. They say they will not let me see you again until they meet both of your parents in person."

"But that's impossible!" Steven cries.

"I know, but they want both of our families to go out together for dinner." Connie tells him now.

Steven finishes putting cheeseballs on the cake. "It sounds so... adult. I wonder if Fish Stew Pizza will take reservations for..." He starts counting on fingers. "Pearl, Garnet, Dad, Amethyst, Y/n, His dad... All ten of us."