85. The Zoo

Steven emerges from a shallow body of water inside the human zoo, after the assimilation process. He coughs and gasps for air, as he looks around.

"Where am I now?" Steven says as he spots Y/n and Greg sat by the side of the water body, being groomed by two humans Steven doesn't recognize.

"Y/n? Dad?" Steven calls out.

"Is that?" Y/n begins to ask as he turns his head.  

"Steven?" Greg asks as he quickly gets up.

Steven and Greg run over and hug each other.

"Y/n! Dad, it's you guys!" Steven says happy to have found them. 

"Steven! My little man!" 

"See, I told you he would find us Greg." Y/n says with a chuckle. "You're dad was in such a state at first. 

"Y/n! Dad! When Blue Diamond took you guys, I got so scared. And then the Gems said you might be in some horrible human zoo all chained up to a wall... doing tricks for peanuts..." Steven begins to sob.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, schtu-ball. Your old man's perfectly fine." Greg reassures Steven.

"So how did you make it here then?" Y/n asks.

"We got on a Gem ship from Earth. I'll tell you about it on the way home. I got separated from the Gems. We got to find them and bust you guys out of here." Steven begins searching in the water body where he popped out from.

"You're not going to find an exit out that way. Greg and I have already tried." Y/n tells him.

"What?! Well, there might be another way out if we can find it." Steven tells Y/n and Greg.

"Ga-reg!" One of the humans approaches the three. "Who is that with you?"

"Is this a new friend, Y/n?" Another one asks as they approach.

"Wy-Six, Jay-Ten, this is..." Y/n begins to introduce them.

"Let me have Y/n and my dad back already!" Steven says as he gets aggressive.

"Hey, don't be like that. Relax." Greg tells Steven. "These people have treated us so well since I got here."

"Wha?" Steven says confused as more Humans pop out from the bushes nearby.

"Greetings! Greetings!" The humans all say warmly.

"Wow, Ga-reg and Y/n!" The humans begin to gather around Steven to greet him, mumbling among themselves.

"Everyone, this is Steven. He's my son!" Greg introduces Steven.

"Uhh... Hi." Steven says feeling unsure what to do or say.

"Hi!" The Humans all say.

"Thanks for... braiding my dad's hair." Steven says politely. 

"I'm glad I keep mine short." Y/n chuckles before he turns to Steven. "It turns out these people are the descendants of humans brought here by Gems thousands of years ago. They've never seen the Earth before." He explains to Steven. "I call them Zoomans." He then whispers.

"Isn't that wild?!" Greg asks.

"Ste-van, Y/n and Ga-reg have told stories of you. "The bits, the bits!" That's you, right?" One of the Zoomans asks.

"The bits, the bits, the bits!" The Zoomans all begin to chant together.

"Come on, say it." One of the Zoomans says with a smile.