55. It Could've been Great

It is the late evening. Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst are seen sitting on a hill and watching the sunset over Beach City. Steven and Y/n were lying nearby against Lion, While Steven was strumming his ukulele and Y/n plucked strings to an old guitar he'd found in the barn.

"You know, I think dad wouldn't mind if you kept that guitar." Steven says to Y/n.

"While I'm sure he wouldn't, I don't just want to take stuff from you guys." Y/n says.

 Peridot walks up to the two now.

"Y/n, Steven." She calls their names getting their attentions. 

"Hey Peridot." Y/n greets her.

"Hi!" Steven also greets her.

"Why did we stop working on the drill?!" Peridot asks them now before she points to the gems. "Why are they just sitting there looking at nothing?!"

"Because were done for the day Peridot, rest is important too you know." Y/n says plucking a random string. 

 "Yeah we worked hard and we deserve to take it easy for a little bit." Steven agrees as he points out to the setting sun to Peridot. "I mean just look at that view. It's beautiful."

"It's going to be blown to oblivion by the Cluster if we don't get back to work!" Peridot tells them.

"Look Working hard is important, but feeling good is important too." Y/n says back to her.

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!" Peridot asks not understanding.

In her frustration Peridot accidentally turns on the power drill in her hand , and it makes a buzzing sound.

"Hey!" Steven imitates the drill buzzing. "What is that, a C?" He asks then plays the note on his ukulele.

"The drill?" Peridot asks as she makes the drill buzz again.

"Yeah!" Steven says and Peridot makes the drill buzz in a higher pitch. "Oh my gosh, now it's music!" Steven cries.

"Music?" Peridot repeats.

"Yeah! It's music! Like this, ♫ do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do ♫ Steven sings as he strums his ukulele.

"Do-mi-so-do.." Peridot repeats..

 ♫ Isn't it pretty? ♫  Steven sings.

"That's exceedingly simple." Peridot comments as Steven strums his ukulele again. "Do-mi-so-ti..."

♫ We're making music. ♫ Y/n sings joining in the with Steven.

"What is the point? You're not making anything." Peridot asks.

"Well, if it isn't anything, then why does it sound so good?" Steven asks her.

"I suppose it's just interest... Do-mi-so-do. Devoid of substance or purpose, a hypothetical pattern... Do-mi-so-ti. For the satisfaction of bringing it to completion." Peridot says now.

"Sure." Steven says.

"Do-mi-so-ti. Interest without meaning? Solutions without problems?" Peridot keeps going.

"And then you just add words. Here's what I have been working on." Steven says before he begins to start singing.

♫ Life and death and love and birth,  And peace and war on the planet Earth.  Is there anything that's worth more, Than peace and love on the planet Earth?  Oh-whooah, come on and sing it with me~ ♫