92. The Good Lars

Y/n and Steven were inside the big donut as Sadie presents them plate of an orange pumpkin-shaped bread on the counter. Y/n cuts two small slices from the bread and he and Steven eat one each, while Lars glances away nearby.

"So, how is it?" Sadie asks them.

"Be honest, but not too honest." Lars says.

"It's pumpkin bread! And it's pumpkin-shaped, like a pumpkin! This is the best idea anybody has ever had!" Steven cries.

"See? I told you. It's really good." Sadie tells Lars.

"Of course Steven likes it. He likes everything." Lars says.

"No, I also think it's really good." Y/n says now having finished his slice. "It has a good flavour that's not overpowering at all, the texture is perfect and the idea of shaping it like a pumpkin takes not only skill, but some creative thinking. Lars, did you make this?" Y/n asks.

"No! Well, yes, but it's no big deal." Lars brushes it off embarrassed.

"Secret's out, Lars. Feels good, doesn't it?" Sadie smiles.

Lars just blushes. "Ah, stop."

"Oh, this is amazing! How'd you get it to look like a pumpkin?" Steven asks.

"I just made seven small crescent-shaped cakes and used cream cheese icing to hold them together. Anyone with two hands and half a brain could do it. And, you know, a recipe." Lars says.

"That's his way of saying thanks." Sadie tells Y/n and Steven.

"I know. I speak Lars." Steven says.

Just then, the doorbell chimes and Buck Dewey walks in.

"B.B.B.Buck Dewey!" Lars stammers panicking, Lars then quickly hides his pumpkin bread behind the counter and leans onto the counter, sweating and smiling anxiously.

"Hi, Buck." Steven greets him.

"Yo." Y/n says.

"Hey, Steven. Hey Y/n. Hey, donut kids." Buck says back.

"Hi, Buck, what's up?! How's it going!? What'll it be?!" Lars asks hastily.

"I want to order... you to come to dinner. Me, Jenny, and Sour Cream are having a potluck. You know, like parents do. Except we'll be doing it. All four of you should come. You should bring some food, because that's what you do at a potluck. It's so funny." Buck says to them.

Lars laughs anxiously. "That is funny, Buck! It sounds great!" He make thumbs-ups. "Super cool! Can't wait!" He then makes gun hands. "Bingo, bongo!"

"Cool." Buck says and he leaves the shop.

Lars puts his face in his hands and groans loudly "Bingo, bongo!? Where did I even learn that?"

"Yeah!" Steven says before he then imitates Lars. "Bingo, bongo! This is gonna be great."

"Hey, yeah, this is perfect. You won't believe us when we say we like your cooking, but you'll have to believe it when it's coming from Buck." Sadie says.

Lars groans and plants his face onto the counter.

"Uh, Lars you alright there?" Y/n asks.

"I'm not going." Lars says.

"What?! You just got invited to a party with the Cool Kids! Isn't that what you've always wanted? If anyone shouldn't go, it's me. But they know you, they like you!" Sadie tells him.