88. Storm in the Room

Connie was packing her belongings in her bag, as she prepares to leave Steven's home.

"Thanks again for protecting Beach City while I was gone, Connie." Steven says to her.

"No problem!" Connie says as she salutes Steven. "And now that you're back from space, I officially relinquish control of your bed to you."

Steven salutes back. "Thank you for keeping it warm, sir."

Steven and Connie start laughing together.

"I hope your dad liked the new car wash sign!" Connie says as they both begin walking towards the door

"He loves it." A voice says and both Steven and Connie look to see Y/n stood in the doorway changed back into normal clothes and earings removed. "Hey, the Gems are still putting it up and I headed home but my dad's still fishing so I thought I'd come hang with you guys." He tells them.

"Aw but I'm going soon." Connie admits. "I hope the gems are back in time for me to say bye." Connie then adds.

"Uhh..." Steven stammers. "It might be a while? You wouldn't believe how many of them it takes to screw in a lightbulb."

"Yeah...they're probably going to take a good while. When I left Peridot and Pearl were arguing about what screws would hold the sign up best." Y/n reveals. 

Connie opens the door. "I wonder where my mom is. She should've been here to pick me up by now."

Connie dials her phone and calls her mom. A voicemail message is heard. "You've reached Doctor Maheswaran. Please leave a message. And if you're one of my patients, you shouldn't have this number!"

"She's not answering." Connie says a little worried.

"Well, look on the bright side! Now we can hang out a little longer, I'm sure she'll show up eventually." Steven says being positive.

"I don't want to impose, I mean, you must have a lot to think about after your space adventure. You almost lost your dad, Y/n and all that stuff about the Diamonds, and your mom? I'd understand if you need some space." Connie says modestly.

"Nah! The last thing I need right now is more space." Steven tells her.

"Okay! What do you guys wanna do?" Connie asks.

Time had passed and it was evening now. Steven, Y/n and Connie were seen playing a game similar to Mad Libs, after playing a bunch of other board games. Steven fills in the blanks while Connie, seemingly in unrest, provides the words.

"Okay Connie it's your turn. The last word is a noun." Steven says.

"Umm. 'Multi-hulled watercraft'." Connie replies.

"Okay, here it goes. The 'wiggly' baker baked some new 'wacky' pastries. There were 'snail' puffs, 'lawn mower' pies, and 'entropy' muffins! Everyone was so 'fuzzy' that they ate everything! Even the cheese caked shaped like a 'multi-hulled watercraft!'" Steven laughs aloud.

"You really like this game huh?" Y/n chuckles as he watches Steven laughing but while Steven had been reading the passage, Connie had attempted to call her mom and ending up reaching her voicemail again.

"This is really weird. My mom always answers her phone." Connie says worried.

"Hmm... Oh! How about I give you a ride home on Lion?" Steven suggests.