42

To say I was having a panic attack was an understatement. I sat there, held up in Greysons office with my head in my hands. I listened to the voicemail over and over. I fucking knew it. That pit in my stomach had come to fruition. The unknown calls I had been receiving all night finally made sense.

I've been seeing you everywhere lately, Juliet Grace. Imagine my surprise, getting out of prison for your mistakes and seeing just how well you've done for yourself. You look amazing by the way. I wondering if your billionaire husband knows your past. Does he know about me? About us? About the things we did together? I told you. I'll never stop loving you. And now I can come for you. It will be a pleasure watching the life drain from his eyes. I can't wait to see you.

The voicemail was haunting. I know Greyson would slaughter him if given the chance. But Brian has nothing to live for. No one to go back to. Which makes him 10x more dangerous. As much as I know Greyson and the boys are capable of handling their situations on their own, this one is my mess. And Brian isn't just some low level scum bag who thinks he's hot shit. He has more bodies under his belt than anyone. He was in the special forces for many years, highly trained. And his career change after leaving only added to his skill set. He's a horrifying person. I made a mistake before moving to California. I had a relationship with Brian. It was a tidal wave. I hadn't realized exactly how much he had manipulated and taken advantage of me at the time. I was 16, desperate for someone to say they wanted me, desperate to feel something. And he did that. He made me feel alive. He never fucked me, saying that that would be taking things too far. But that didn't stop him from doing other things.

We had spent nearly a year together. A lot of shit went down, things I've blocked out. Brian said he was in prison for my crimes, and he's right. He took the fall for all of it. The robberies we planned, the people we'd killed and discarded. I felt sick. I messed up. I was stupid, I had a fascination with death and I felt powerful watching the life drain from someone's eyes because of me. I couldn't even remember how many people it was. We were discrete, don't get me wrong. Brian's training was extremely helpful, I suppose that's why he was in the business in the first place. But all of this is the result of my mistakes. Greyson may not be the most innocent person in the world but he damn sure doesn't deserve any of this.

I looked down as a peacefully sleeping Greyson and smiled. I kissed his forehead lightly, mumbling out an I love you before leaving the room. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but this is something I have to do on my own. Brian wouldn't dare hurt me, or at least the old Brian wouldn't.

I sighed, looking around our home, hoping I'd return but taking it all in just in case things don't go as planned. I probably sound stupid and naive walking into a lions den alone despite the fact my husband is an organized crime leader who does this shit in his free-time. It's just easier this way.

I locked the door behind me, debating on taking the car or not knowing Greyson could easily track me. I stood there for a minute before I felt a presence behind me. I whipped around to see Shawn with a gun pointed at me. He sighed, dropping his hands. "Shawn what the fuck?!" "Me? What are you doing? I got an alert from the security cameras and saw someone dressed in all black with a hood up just standing in your driveway." "Well it's just me, you can leave." I breathed. He sued me suspiciously, checking his watch. "Why are you standing in the driveway at 3am in all black with a duffel bag?" His eyes narrowed at the bag. "It's nothing, I'm taking a mini vacation." I tried to shrug it off. He wasn't having it, glaring at me.

I didn't have time to react before he snatched it from me and ripped it open. His eyes pulled in confusion as he starred down at it and looked back up to me. "You need to tell me what the fuck is going on. Now Juliet." I thought about pulling the rank card, that technically he works for me and I don't answer to him but in all honesty he's the only one of Greysons people who wouldn't let that slide. And he'd immediately go to Greyson anyways. I sighed, running my hand over my face. When I looked back up at him he was studying my face carefully. "I messed up, Shawn." His face went from annoyed to protective in a second when he heard my voice crack.