24

Present Time

Mike walked into El's room as she went on about what she learned in 6th period. Mike could hear Darren and Will laughing in the next room over. He had totally forgotten that Darren was coming over to study. He sighed as he sat on El's bed next to her.

"Anyways.." She continued, suddenly catching Mike's attention. "What happened?"

"When I skipped lunch yesterday?" Mike asked. El nodded in response.

"Yeah, that's what you came over for." El replied, smiling. Mike laughed a bit.

"Yeah.. sorry. So basically, the day before, my dad and I got into a huge argument because of something." Mike started, "And I found out my uncle is dying."

"From what?" El asked.

"Classified." Mike replied.

"Well.. I'm sorry." El responded, putting her hand on his. Mike nodded.

"It's okay.. my dad was just being an- he was being mean." Mike said. El laughed a bit.

"I um.. can I tell you something now?" El asked. Mike nodded.

"Sure, what is it?" Mike asked.

"So um.. the last time we were on a break.. I-" El started, cutting herself off as she pulled her hand off of Mike's, "Don't be mad."

"I won't be, okay?" Mike responded. El nodded.

"I kissed Max." El said. Mike's eyes widened. He did not expect that.

"What?" He responded, not mad, just shocked.

"Yeah and I've been really confused and guilty ever since." El said.

"You.. you don't need to feel guilty. It's fine." Mike said. El sighed.

"I think we.. need to take a break." El started, "We've both been off lately, you know?" Mike looked down a bit, a bit of guilt filling him. He nodded.

"Yeah you're right. I'm sorry." Mike responded.

"It's okay, it's just until we get back on our feet." El started, "Deal?" She said holding out her hand. Mike sighed before grabbing her hand and shaking it.

"Deal." Mike started, "So um.. do you like girls?"

"I.. don't know." El said, frowning a bit. Mike nodded.

"It's okay to not know, okay?" He responded. El sighed.

"I have another question." El started, "Was that thing the only thing bothering you?"

"Yeah, why?" Mike asked.

"I don't know.. you just seemed off before that." El replied. Mike thought about it, after what El just told him, would he really be okay with telling her he might have feelings for someone else? His mind told him no.

"Nah.. just school you know." Mike responded. El nodded.

"Okay.. just making sure." El said. Mike got off of El's bed.

"I should probably go.. I haven't been home since yesterday morning." Mike responded.

"Where were you last night then?" El asked.

"I stayed over.. after me and Will talked." Mike replied. El nodded.

"Ah, okay." El started, "Well.. bye."

"Bye." Mike said as he began to leave.

"Love you." El said. Mike froze. He turned to her and nodded, before quickly leaving, kind of in shock of what she just told him. He wasn't mad, just kind of surprised. He stood in the hallway for a second before he heard faint music coming from Will's room. He slowly walked up to his door and knocked. "Who is it?" Will asked from inside. Mike slowly opened the door to see Will sitting on his bed. Mike smiled.