51

"Hello?" Lucas said, answering the phone as he went into Steve's room. There was silence before a sigh came over the phone.

"Hi... you called?" Max's voice responded.

"Yeah, we're worried about you... you left without saying anything." Lucas replied. "What's up?"

"Lucas um.. our relationship has been off recently.. have you noticed that?" Max asked. Lucas nodded.

"Yeah... I have. I didn't want to bring it up though." Lucas replied. Max sighed.

"I really don't want to do this to you right now, but.." Max started. Lucas already knew what she was about to say.

"It's fine." Lucas responded. "I.. think it's for the best."

"That we break up?" Max asked. Lucas nodded.

"We haven't really felt like we've been together in a while... we felt more like glorified best friends." Lucas replied. They both laughed a bit.

"I just really need some time to think about everything." Max said. Lucas nodded.

"I get that.. honestly me too." Lucas responded. Max nodded.

"You're an amazing guy, Lucas. And one of the best people I've ever met, don't you ever forget that, okay?" Max said. Lucas laughed a bit.

"Yeah, same with you." Lucas started, "I have a question... well two."

"Go ahead." Max responded.

"You love El, right?" Lucas asked. He wasn't going to pretend like something wasn't there between them. He heard a sigh over the phone.

"That's.. exactly what I need to think about." Max replied. Lucas nodded.

"Listen, Max. I love you both.. and I want you both to be happy, and I don't want to get in the way of that." Lucas responded.

"..How could you tell?" Max asked. Lucas smiled.

"Just could." Lucas replied. Max laughed a bit.

"No hard feelings, right? I mean, I still want you in my life, you're a huge part of it." Max said.

"Of course not, friends?" Lucas asked.

"The best." Max replied. They both laughed. "Oh yeah, what was your second question?" Lucas looked down at the floor.

"I'll ask it some other time, okay?" Lucas responded.

"Oh, I see, being secretive." Max said. They both laughed a bit. "Anyways, have fun at... Steve's house... I'm assuming."

"Steve and Robin's apartment." Lucas responded.

"Okay, both of them's apartment." Max said. Lucas smiled.

"Bye, Mad Max." Lucas responded.

"Bye, Stalker." Max said as she hung up the phone. Lucas smiled a bit as he left the room, putting the phone up. He took his seat next to Darren again, who was now talking to Will, Mike, Dustin, and El.

"How'd it go?" Mike asked, everyone already having a good idea of who he was talking to.

"We broke up." Lucas replied.

"Seriously?" Dustin responded as El looked down a bit.

"Don't worry, it was very mutual and mature." Lucas said. Everyone nodded.

"Well, that's a relief." Will responded. Lucas looked at El, who looked guilty almost. He sighed.

"El? You okay?" He asked. El looked up a bit.