68

"Thank you!" Dustin said to the people working at the store that he and Mike had just left. It was a couple of hours before Dustin's party, and Dustin had asked Mike to take him to the local market to get snacks. "Hey, thanks for driving me by the way.. and helping." Mike nodded, arms full of different bags of chips.

"Hey, no problem." Mike responded as he unlocked his car with his free hand. He opened the door, both of them putting stuff in the back before getting into the front.

"So.. how was your second day back at school?" Dustin asked as Mike started the car. Mike shrugged.

"Alright I guess.. a lot of people were staring at me, whispering, asking me where I went.." Mike replied. Dustin nodded as Mike pulled out of the parking lot.

"Well.. it's gonna get better! This party is going to be epic." Dustin responded. Mike nodded with a slight smile.

"Oh, I'm sure it will be." Mike said encouragingly. Dustin nodded excitedly before they continued to talk on the drive to Dustin's house.

Soon, the party started. Max brought drinks as she had promised, and Lucas and Darren followed soon after. Darren wasn't as energetic as he usually was at parties, something Mike found weird, and something he could tell Lucas noticed as well, considering the worried look on his face. Dustin handed Darren a drink, and he nodded at Mike, Dustin, and Max before just heading outside with it. Lucas sighed before grabbing a drink as well, leaning on the counter.

"What's up with him?" Max asked. Lucas shrugged.

"No clue. He's been like that since he picked me up from my house." Lucas replied.

"Then he probably was upset before that. It's not your fault." Mike responded. Lucas nodded slightly.

"Yeah, I know.. but I'm worried." Lucas said. Max sighed before turning to Dustin.

"You know when El's coming?" She asked. Dustin shrugged.

"All I know is Will's dropping her off." Dustin replied. Max nodded before thinking a bit. She turned to Mike with a sigh.

"Can you dance with me til my girlfriend gets here, Wheeler?" She asked. Mike sighed.

"If I must." He replied jokingly. Max laughed a bit before putting her drink down and heading onto the dance floor. Mike put down his drink before turning to Lucas. "He'll open up eventually, don't worry."

"Thanks." Lucas said with a slight nod. Mike nodded back before following Max onto the dance floor. Even though he and Max had their differences, they still could have fun when it came to it. They danced for about ten minutes before Max said something.

"You know, for being Mike Wheeler, you're a pretty okay dancer." Max said, her voice almost muffled by the music, but loud enough that Mike could hear. Mike furrowed his eyebrows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mike asked. Max shrugged before they both laughed a bit.

"So are you nervous?" Max responded.

"About what?" Mike asked.

"Seeing Will. I mean you're gonna see him eventually. Are you nervous?" Max responded. Mike shrugged slightly.

"Sort of.. I'm more scared he won't want to talk to me." Mike replied. Max nodded.

"That makes sense." Max started, "I'm sure he will though."

"You think so?" Mike asked.

"I mean.. I wouldn't personally. But it's Will." Max replied, stopping her dancing with a sigh. "Okay. Enough for now, I need to save my energy for El." Mike stopped as well, giving a relieved sigh.