31

"You got back together with her?" Lucas started, in shock, "Mike, are you kidding me?"

"I know.. I know.." Mike said.

"You literally did the exact opposite of what I told you to do!" Lucas exclaimed.

"Yes, I know, but.. I need to stay with her." Mike responded.

"Why? The longer you stay with her the worse it will be when you eventually end things." Lucas said.

"Don't you think I know that?" Mike started, "I just.. can't." Lucas sighed.

"Please, just think this through more. Think about why you're doing this, and think about if it's worth losing even a possible friendship with El." Lucas said. Mike looked down a bit.

"So, what happened with Max?" Mike asked, changing the subject.

"She's suspended for two days." Lucas started, "It would've been worse if other people didn't come to her defense." Mike nodded.

"Yeah, what Emily said was way harsh." Mike said.

"Anyways, I'm gonna go back to class. Please, think about what I said." Lucas responded. Mike nodded before sitting there for a second, thinking. He thought about how quiet Will was this morning when they were walking to school, and in first period, and he wondered why. He didn't want to ask because Will usually didn't like talking about his problems, but it was starting to bug Mike. Was Will avoiding him again? And if so, why? Mike was starting to become paranoid about it, as if Will had somehow figured something out. Mike sighed as he left and went back to class as well. He sat in his third period class next to Dustin, thinking to himself. The next class period he had with Will was next period, maybe he could talk to him then?

"Dude." Dustin whispered. Mike snapped out of it.

"Yeah?" He responded, whispering as well.

"What'd you get on the quiz?" Dustin asked.

"An 80." Mike responded. Dustin nodded before turning away. Mike sighed as the bell for the next period rang. He got up and put his book in his locker, grabbed his book for fourth period, and went to class. He sat down, tapping his foot anxiously. Suddenly Will came into class, sitting down in the seat next to him. Mike looked over at him nervously. Will glanced at him.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Oh, y-yeah I'm fine, I was just wondering if you're okay." Mike replied.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Will asked, pulling his notepad out of his bag.

"Well.. you seem quiet today." Mike replied.

"I'm always quiet." Will responded. It was quiet for a few seconds as Mike continued to look at Will. "You and El are back together, right?" Mike looked down a bit.

"How'd you know?" Mike asked. Will glanced at Mike before looking down.

"I could just tell.. that's all." Will replied, in a more quiet tone. Mike noticed.

"Does it.. bother you?" Mike asked.

"What? No.. it was just a quick break. That's all." Will replied, continuing a drawing in the notepad. It did kind of bother him, not because of his feelings for him, but because it had been going on like this for about three years. They got back together, took breaks, and repeated every couple of weeks. It was exhausting to see both of them go through that, and he always wondered why they didn't just realize things weren't working out. He would never say that to either of them, but it was just hard to witness.

"What are you drawing?" Mike asked suddenly, trying to continue the conversation. Will glanced at Mike before slowly pushing the notepad towards him so he could see. Mike smiled as he quietly admired the drawing. He could tell it was a person with glasses holding what looked to be a plant. It was obviously a sketch of Seymour Krelborn holding a small Audrey II. "You're so talented."