23

December of 1989

Max sat next to El on her bed, comforting her as "Brown Eyed Girl" played in the background.

"And whatever happened
To Tuesday and so slow?
Going down the old mine with a
Transistor radio
Standing in the sunlight laughing
Hiding 'hind a rainbow's wall
Slipping and sliding
All along the waterfall with you"

El and Mike were on yet another break. They actually went on breaks quite a lot, though no one really talked about it because it was a sensitive topic for El.

"Hey, don't worry, I'm sure he'll come crawling back to you, he always does." Max responded. El looked at her as tears streamed down her face.

"Thank you." El responded. Max nodded.

"No problem, I'm your best friend for a reason." Max said. El smiled.

"I just wish this.. didn't happen so much." El started, "Why can't we just stay in a relationship and stick with it? You know? And it's usually him who asks us to go on breaks too it's so.. frustrating."

"I get it.. but maybe it's for the best?" Max responded. El looked down sadly.

"I don't know.. sometimes I feel like there's something going on with him that he isn't telling me." El said.

"Who knows?" Max responded. "But don't worry about it, for now just.. chill." El laid back in Max's bed, Max following.

"What if he doesn't come back?" El asked, turning towards Max. Max thought about it before turning toward El.

"Then I guess you're stuck with me." Max responded. El smiled a bit as she stared at Max. Then suddenly there was silence. El stared at Max a bit more. "What?" Max asked smirking a bit.

Then suddenly El kissed her, and she kissed back for a few seconds before she quickly realized what was happening and pulled away.

"Um.. I have a.. a boyfriend." Max stuttered. El's eyes were widened in fear as she sat up.

"I'm- I'm sorry.. I don't know why I-" El started before Max interrupted her, sitting up as well.

"It's- it's okay, let's just forget about it, okay?" Max responded, lightly touching El's arm. El stared at her before getting off of the bed.

"I- I'm gonna go home." El said. Max nodded.

"Okay.. bye." Max responded awkwardly. El left and rushed out of Max's house. Max looked at the door with varying amounts of shock before turning to turn off the radio. Max already knew she liked girls as well as boys long before this, but this felt different. Yeah, she loved Lucas, but El kissing her? It was shocking. El was like this perfect person, and she just kissed her. Max sighed as she laid back on her bed, thinking as she looked at the ceiling.

El got on her bike and rode as fast as she could, tears flowing from her eyes. Did she have feelings for Max? Did she possibly like girls? She didn't even know. She felt her stomach turn. To her there was nothing wrong with being gay, in fact she didn't know why anything was wrong with it anyways. The possibility of her liking girls was a whole different story though. I mean she loved Mike, and he loved her.

Right?

To be continued..

sorry this chapter is short lolz