56

"Are you sure they're safe?" Joyce asked. Nancy nodded.

"I've heard about the guy who owns the place, they're gonna be fine." Nancy replied. Joyce sighed in relief.

"Can't believe this all happened while we were gone." Hopper responded. "Sorry for your loss, by the way." Nancy nodded.

"Thank you." Nancy said, looking down a bit.

"Anyways.. me and Nance need to go back and make sure Robin is okay. Last time we checked she was arguing with her boss because Steve is gonna be late tomorrow." Jonathan added. Everyone nodded.

"Thanks.. for not keeping him there for too long, by the way." Nancy said to Hopper. He sighed.

"No problem.. plus your mother told me to drop the charges." Hopper responded. Nancy's eyes widened.

"Really?" Nancy asked, obviously shocked. Hopper nodded.

"So we got questioned for nothing or..?" Max added with crossed arms. Everyone looked at her. "What?"

"It.. wasn't exactly for nothing." Joyce started with a smile, "We still needed to know what happened." Max nodded.

"Anyways, bye you guys!" Nancy said as she and Jonathan began to head to the door. Everyone waved as they headed out.

"Bye!" El responded.

"See ya." Max added.

"Take care!" Joyce added. El looked down a bit.

"Mom.. Dad.. I'm sorry things got so out of control." El said. Joyce and Hopper turned to her.

"It's not your fault, hon." Joyce responded.

"Yeah, stuff happens, sweetie." Hopper added. Max thought to herself a bit.

"Can I stay over?" She asked, kind of to all three of them in a way. Joyce smiled.

"Of course.. we have extra food so it won't be a problem." Joyce replied. Max nodded before looking at El, who was smiling at her. After eating dinner and brushing their teeth, they both went to El's room. El turned to Max.

"Do you.. need to borrow clothes?" El asked. Max nodded before El turned to her closet, pulling out some comfortable clothes for the both of them. She handed Max hers before they both turned away from each other, beginning to get dressed. This used to be a common practice for the two, but it felt different now. Now feelings were making it awkward. It was silent as they both finished getting dressed. They both turned to each other, staring at each other before Max spoke up.

"Um.. this is sort of a weird thing to ask.. but can you braid my hair?" Max asked. El smiled.

"Sure." She replied, grabbing a scrunchy and brush before going to sit on her bed. Max smiled as she sat in front of her, crossing her legs. El brushed out her hair before beginning to braid it as they sat in silence.

"Today was.. insane." Max said suddenly. El nodded.

"Yeah.. at least my mom isn't too freaked out about the whole Will situation." El started, "I was so sure she was about to go to California to get him herself." Max laughed a bit.

"I guess she trusts him and Mike enough." Max responded. El nodded.

"I'm kind of worried about them though.." El started, "I mean.. Will doesn't know Mike got kicked out." Max nodded.

"Yeah.. and I doubt Mike will want to come back." Max responded. El sighed.

"Hopefully Mike tells Will soon... I don't want him to get hurt." El said, tying off Max's braid with the scrunchy.