57

"Bye, Dustin!" El said as she sat next to Max, who was waving goodbye as well.

"Farewell, ladies." Dustin responded before riding away on his bike. Max and El were now the last two sitting outside of the movie theater. Lucas had left first to go talk to Darren, and after talking to them for a while, Dustin was now leaving for "Suzie-time" as he called it. Max looked at El, who was sitting next to her with her legs crossed.

"Wanna go soon?" Max asked. El looked at her before shaking her head.

"Nah... I don't like being home alone and my parents don't get home til 9." El replied, looking at her watch. Max nodded. "So.. what do you want to talk about?" Max thought a bit.

"Well.. what did you and Lucas talk about before we came here?" Max asked.

"Just.. feelings." El replied. Max nodded. "Did you like the movie?"

"Yeah, who doesn't like watching Jamie Lee Curtis getting chased by Michael Myers?" Max asked. El laughed a bit.

"It's weird that they decided to rerun it in theaters when it's almost summertime." El replied. Max nodded.

"Yeah, still great though." Max responded.

"Too bad Darren couldn't come because he had to watch his sister. He loves horror." El said.

"Yeah, then Lucas could've hidden in his shoulder instead of screaming the whole time." Max responded. El laughed a bit before frowning.

"Yeah.. um... Max?" El said. Max turned to her.

"Yeah?" Max responded.

"I think... I just like girls." El replied. Max's eyes widened a bit.

"Really?" She asked. El nodded.

"Yeah." She replied with a slight smile. Max smiled a bit.

"Thanks for telling me." Max responded, putting her hand on El's. El nodded a bit before looking down. Max noticed this, and her eyebrows furrowed. "You okay?"

"Yeah.. just thinking." El replied. Max nodded as El looked at her watch, pulling her hand out from under Max's. "Well.. would you look at that it's 8:55. I should head home."

"Want me to walk you?" Max asked. El thought a bit before sighing.

"No.. um... it's not that far from here and I'm tired." El replied. Max furrowed her eyebrows a bit.

"Okay um.. stay safe." Max responded with a smile. El nodded.

"You too." She said before beginning to walk away. Max just stared at her for a few seconds, before sighing and going the other direction. El crossed her arms against herself as she thought to herself. As much as she was happy that Max was seemingly reciprocating her feelings, she wished she would confirm what she was feeling so El didn't feel so stupid. She also really wished Will was here so she could talk to someone about this.

Max walked into her house, closing the door behind her before sighing in frustration. Why was this so difficult? Suddenly, as if it was on queue, the phone rang. Max sighed before going up to it and answering.

"Hello?" Max said.

"Max!" Lucas practically yelled into the phone. Max's eyes widened.

"..Yes?" She responded.

"I talked to Darren and he opened up to me.. like completely. It was so easy!" Lucas said. Max smiled a bit.

"So.. you just completely ignored our advice?" Max asked over the phone.

"Not.. exactly. I know he trusts me and I reassured him.. and we even held hands." Lucas replied. Max sighed.

"Well, then that's good." She responded, leaning on the wall as she wrapped the chord for the phone around her finger.