69

Will and El headed to the spot where their friend group usually met up the next morning, El seeming even more energetic than usual. Will didn't mind it though, he was much more focused on other things. He was lost in thought the whole way to school but was in reality enough to respond to El as she talked about random things. Will took his spot next to Dustin, who was arguing with Max about who knows what. He crossed his arms against himself as he continued to think about the night before. About the conversation he and Mike had, and the way Mike's hands felt against his face.

"Will, you agree with me, right?" Dustin asked. Will snapped out of it.

"Huh?.. Yeah, sure." He replied, trying his best to seem like he was paying attention, but failing miserably. El and Max giggled as Dustin sighed.

"Hey." Mike said suddenly as he turned the corner. Will turned his attention to him, watching as he made his way to the spot next to Will, smiling slightly as he did.

"Mike! I have a very important question to ask you." Dustin said, making Max roll her eyes. Mike sighed slightly.

"How important?" He asked.

"Okay, would you be upset if you couldn't be with the person you love because your families are rivals?" Dustin responded, completely ignoring Mike's question. Mike's face scrunched up in confusion.

"What kind of question is that?" He asked. Dustin sighed.

"I still don't know how we got into this argument." Max responded.

"Wait.. that's what you guys were arguing about?" Will asked.

"Yes, because Max said that 'Romeo and Juliet' was dumb." Dustin replied. Max rolled her eyes.

"I did say that, but only because I think it's weird for two teenagers to die over something like that." Max responded. Dustin's eyes widened a bit.

"Did you.. even pay attention when we read it in tenth grade?" Dustin asked.

"I remember you crying over it." Max replied with a slight shrug. Dustin rolled his eyes as everyone laughed a bit.

"But still.. my question stands." Dustin responded, looking at Mike.

"Well, I don't really have to worry about that now. I don't.. live with my family." Mike said kind of awkwardly. Will looked at him, noticing a slight frown on his face. It became silent, and you could practically feel the awkwardness.

"Yeah.. right, sorry." Dustin responded suddenly. Mike just sort of nodded, looking ahead of him. It was silent again for a few more seconds.

"Well, me personally. I wouldn't care. I'd sneak around, and even if my family found out I still wouldn't care." Max started, "Especially if we're not hurting anybody. If it made our families upset, they'd get over it eventually."

"But it's not as simple as that in Romeo and Juliet." Dustin responded.

"Well, I'm not Romeo or Juliet so.. not my problem." Max said. Dustin sighed.

"I give up." He responded, making Max and El laugh. Will smiled slightly before looking back at Mike, who seemed to be lost in thought like Will was earlier, but it was clear that they weren't good thoughts. Dustin, El, and Max continued to talk in the background as Will slightly elbowed Mike.

"Yeah?" Mike asked, suddenly turning his attention to Will. Will frowned slightly.

"..You okay?" He asked quietly. Mike shrugged with a slight smile.

"Yeah.. it was just kind of awkward to bring up." Mike replied.

"Yeah.." Will started, "Um.. I'm always here though.. if you're not okay." Mike smiled at him.