33

Mike sat and watched the movie as El leaned on his shoulder, eating popcorn from the bowl resting next to her. Will was sitting on the loveseat near the couch with a blanket over his crossed legs, a bowl of popcorn resting in his lap. Mike didn't know Will was joining them, but he figured that as long as Will didn't notice how he was acting, he would be fine.

"This movie makes no sense," El started, "the best friend is obviously the better choice for him, so why doesn't he just date her?"

"Maybe he thinks she doesn't like him." Will said.

"But it's so obvious she does." El responded.

"But.. some people are oblivious." Will said. El sighed.

"Yeah.. that's true I guess." El started, "I just wish he would stop giving her hope by flirting with her, but then going back to the other girl."

"Yeah.. me too." Will responded, kind of glancing at Mike, who wasn't even paying attention to the conversation, lost in his own thoughts. El sat up suddenly.

"I'm getting more popcorn." She said as she got up. Mike looked at her and nodded as she left. He then looked over at Will, who was looking at the TV.

"Hey." Mike said suddenly. Will turned his head toward him.

"Hey." He responded.

"This movie is.. good." Mike said. Will nodded.

"Yeah.. it is." Will responded, looking back at the TV. Mike looked down a bit. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah, why?" Mike responded.

"You seem kind of.. off." Will replied, looking at him.

"Do I?" Mike asked.

"Yeah, you're quieter than usual." Will replied. "Usually you.. critique these kind of movies."

"Oh.. well I'm kind of tired." Mike responded. Will nodded.

"Okay, just making sure." He said, looking back at the TV. Mike stared at him for a second before turning his attention back to the TV. El came in a few minutes later, taking her seat next to Mike again, leaning on his shoulder.

After about an hour, El was now off Mike's shoulder, laying next to him. Mike looked over at Will, who was still looking at the screen. Mike sighed as he got up, making his way to the kitchen. He looked out of the window above the sink as he thought to himself. He thought about what his dad said, and felt hatred for himself fill him. That hatred grew even more when he thought about Will, and how he had made things awkward earlier that day. He really hated who he was, and that part of himself was now being pushed down deeper and deeper everyday. It was almost suffocating in a way. His hands shook as he heard the movie playing in the background. He didn't know how long he could keep this up

"El's asleep." Will said suddenly, entering the kitchen. Mike flinched as he looked at him.

"Jeez.. you scared me." Mike responded. Will laughed a bit.

"So what are you doing?" He asked.

"Just.. needed to think a bit." Mike responded.

"Hm.." Will started, walking towards Mike, "Are you sure you're okay?" Mike was in fact not.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" He responded.

"I don't know.. I just can kind of tell when something is wrong with you.. and I feel like something's wrong.." Will replied, leaning on the counter behind him. Mike sighed.

"Just.. had an argument with my dad.. that's all." Mike responded. Will looked at Mike sympathetically as he looked out of the window above the sink, the movie still playing in the background. He had noticed the red mark on Mike's face when he came in. He didn't know if El noticed and just chose not to say anything, but he thought it was better not to bring it up in front of her. Mike get's really embarrassed and frustrated if anyone thinks he's weak in the slightest, and Will knew that. He had only seen him vulnerable a few times, and that was when it was just them. Mike liked people to think he was okay, even when he wasn't, and Will understood why.

"Wanna talk about it?" Will asked. Mike thought about it as he looked towards Will, before shaking his head.

"Nah.. not important." Mike replied, turning around so he could face Will. That was one of the only times he didn't actually want to talk about something to Will. Will nodded.

"Just making sure." Will responded. Mike smiled. It was quiet, the dim, orange glow of the kitchen light gave a nice calm vibe as the two boys looked at each other. Suddenly a song started playing from the movie in the background.

"Oh my gosh, that-that song." Mike said, pointing towards the living room as he looked at Will. Will listened.

"Head Over Heels?" Will asked. Mike nodded in excitement.

"I love this song!" Mike replied, his smile growing bigger. Will smiled at his excitement.

"Yeah, it's a good song." Will responded, leaning on the counter with his arms crossed. Mike began walking towards him.

"I wanted to be with you alone, and talk about the weather~" Mike sang a bit quietly as Will laughed at him a bit.

"Oh my God.. what are you doing?" Will asked laughing. Mike smiled as he continued to sing over Will.

"But traditions I can trace against the child in your face, won't escape my attention~" He sang as snapped to the beat, before he stopped in front of Will, cupping his face in his hands. Will just crossed his arms and looked at Mike in admiration.

"You're way too into this aren't you?" Will asked.

"You bet." Mike started, "You keep your distance with a system of touch, and gentle persuasion~" Mike made dramatic hand motions as he let go of Will's face, who continued to laugh at him a bit. "I'm lost in admiration, could I need you this much?~"

"You're so weird, Mike." Will responded. Mike laughed a bit.

"So are you! Come on, sing with me." Mike said grabbing Will's hands.

"No!" Will said smiling and laughing.

"You're just, just, just wasting time~" Mike continued to sing as he pulled Will towards him a bit, his hands now leaving Will's hands and moving to wrap around his waist. Will sighed before giving in, putting his hands on Mike's shoulders.

"Something happens and I'm head over heels~" They both sang, Will quieter than Mike as he pulled him closer. "I never find out.. 'til I'm head over heels~" Will laughed a bit as Mike continued singing, being the more confident of the two.

"Something happens and I'm head over heels~" Mike started, the two boys now looking into each other's eyes, "Ah, don't take my heart, don't break my heart.. don't, don't, don't throw it away~" Mike finished that part before he got quiet, just staring at the boy who's face was now merely inches away from him, and his body a bit closer. The tension was high.

"Throw it away."

He could kiss him right now.

"Throw it away."

"Wh-what?" Will asked nervously, blinking a bit. Mike frowned a bit.

"Nothing.. nothing." Mike replied, now letting go of Will's waist. Will crossed his arms against himself, uncomfortable again from the tension. Mike looked down a bit in shame as he turned away from him. Will gave a shaky breath as he leaned back against the counter again.

"It's um.. it's late and I'm tired.." Will said, trailing off.

"Yeah.." Mike responded. "You're.. you're right I should get going."

"Yeah.." Will said. "Well um.. I hope things get better with your dad." Mike looked down a bit before looking back up at Will, trying to avoid eye contact.

"Yeah.. me-me too." Mike responded. He stared at Will for a second before walking past him. "Bye." Will just continued to look ahead, arms still crossed.

"You're leaving?" He heard El say faintly from the living room.

"Yeah.. I'm tired." Mike responded.

"Okay, well, bye." El said in a tired but happy tone.

"Bye." Mike responded. Will felt tears start to form in his eyes a bit as he heard the door close. He sighed shakily as he wiped his eyes, heading back out into the living room with El.

To be continued..

an: another update!

hope you enjoyed!!!